11.11.2014

Brokenness and Whispers

I certainly didn't intend that string of close together posts to be the last thing I posted for so long.

There is much struggle in life right now. Some infertility related, some not. Your prayers are appreciated, so much.

I have sat down to write a few times over the last couple of months, but knowing that the whole story can't go here has quieted me. I realize I need to keep writing, and somehow reach out despite that it all can't be public. I have to start somewhere, and this seems as good a place as any.

A big part of infertility for me has been reconciling my objective brokenness, my body does not work correctly - that is a fact - from the subjective experience of that. Of feeling like less than a woman, less than a wife. The fact of brokenness and the feeling of brokenness are two very different, but related things. My head knows that I (and you, my dear sisters) am no less a woman, no less a wife. That my femininity is not tied to my ability to conceive and bear a child. That I am created as a woman and that my body, whether all the parts are fully present and working or not, is a sign of a sanctuary of life, of receptivity, of nurturing whether it ever does any of those things or not. The fact that it does not is evidence of the Fall and the brokenness of our world, not of my brokenness.

Recently, God whispered to me these truths in a way that finally reached my heart, if only for a moment. I, of course, missed His whispers, even His clear words spoken by others, and spent some time arguing with Him before I let myself hear Him. Someday I might learn that He is going to win. Clearly I haven't yet.

So, if you'd permit me to return to this place with a story of brokenness and whispers.

It all starts and connects back to another argument I had with God that I lost. That argument was about receiving Eucharist on the tongue rather than in the hand. (Disclaimer: Both are appropriate ways to receive Eucharist, this is not meant to be a post about the theological reasons for one or the other.) He suggested it. I said no. He pushed. I said no. He pushed. I tried. He won. It's that simple and that complicated. But it was the first time I'd heard Him ask me to do something outside of my comfort zone as it relates to Mass and it was a very distinct argument and experience.

So, back in the spring when I started hearing Him suggest that I cover my head during Mass, I recognized it. It felt very much like the request to receive Eucharist on the tongue. I resisted. Strongly this time. So many reasons why not. And nothing but a feeling, rather an invitation, but I didn't see it that way at the time, for why. Well, much like with Eucharist, He is persistent and so I asked a couple of trusted priest-friends what they thought. Specifically about how to prudently do this when my  job requires being in front of people who do not regularly attend Mass and are not going to understand it at all and not wanting to alienate them; needing to be accessible.

Then, when we went to the beach, a friend came with us and brought a couple of articles about traditions of women covering their heads in different cultures. I read them, interested and still very much arguing with God about this. The more I read, the more the logical and theological reasons just didn't add up for me. There was a flaw in each one, an argument used out of context or taken to an extreme. All I had was this pull from God and arguments that were not satisfying myself. (Disclaimer: This is also not a post designed to argue the theological reasons for a woman covering her head. It is not required and does not prove holiness or piety one way or the other.)

Then, in late August/early September, I was at Mass and stayed after to pray and a prayer came and went so quickly I barely registered it. I didn't say it or give physical words to it and I forgot about it. The prayer? "Lord, if you want me to cover my head during Mass, I will, but only if a veil is given to me as a gift."

Less than two weeks later, the friend who went to the beach came to visit us and brought a thank you gift for me for the vacation. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what that gift was, but in case I do, yes, it was a veil. Not just any veil, but the veil I had decided that if I were going to wear one would be the one I would wear. As I opened it, that unspoken, barely thought, barely prayed prayer echoed in my heart. I shared the prayer and we both just stood in awe.

And so, two days later I started covering my head during Mass. I've learned to listen to His voice and use prudence to know when is the right time to wear my veil and when I need to not (for example, at my home parish where it would stick out and be a distraction to all around me). I have settled into a comfort with covering my head and haven't given it too much thought since then. The theological and logical reasons still falling short, but very much feeling like this is what I was supposed to do.

Then, I found this article: Men, Veils, and the Mystery of Femininity at The Catholic Gentleman. There is a lot there that doesn't resonate with me - the problem of the theological reasons continues, as the argument that Mary is always shown with her head covered is not 100% accurate, nor are the reasons given. But, there was something different in this article. A whisper while I was reading the parts about femininity and the female body. All things I already knew in my head, but now read in light of an argument that He won about covering my head and feeling in my heart that it was the right thing to be doing.

The whisper?

You are not broken.
You are my beautiful daughter.
You are sacred.
You are loved.
You are not broken.

And finally, I heard the whisper behind the request from Him to cover my head.

My body is broken.

I feel broken.

I am not broken.

I don't know why He chose covering my head to whisper this to me. I don't know why this is where I heard His voice. Perhaps it is that I am stubborn and that the feeling of brokenness is nearly always with me and so by covering my head regularly at Mass, He can remind me often.

I have heard many times that it is in our woundedness, our brokenness, that we are closest to Christ. It is our wounds and scars that are our familial resemblance to Him, our wounds that will shine with the most glory in heaven. It is through our wounds that He enters, when we let Him. He will enter our brokenness with whispers of Truth. How I pray for the grace to hear and respond to Him.

16 comments:

  1. I read that article a few days ago and have to admit, the part about being a "life bearing vessel" kind of stung, given my history of IF. But I think you are wise in seeing the bigger picture. To be a woman is a great privilege given to us by God, and anything that helps remind us of that is worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting and beautiful! I think it's really neat how God used something seemingly unrelated (veils) to remind you how beloved and precious you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! And a good reminder that God will eventually win the arguments I'm having with Him now, and for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think that God talks to us when we humble ourselves. But that is oh-so-hard.

    You can also wear a hat which is the same thing since it is really covering your head that matters. This is a little easier in the winter.

    A funny story...we were in IN this weekend for a wedding and needed an early mass so we could get to my mom's for dinner that night. We saw that there was an EF mass and I thought that I didn't bring anything to cover my head but figured there would be a box of veils since most EF masses I have been to, there were some. Well, not at this church. So I brought my wrap I wore to the wedding, sparkles and all, just in case. Had to wear it around my head and wrapped around my neck. Probably looked a little silly, but oh well. ;)

    Prayers for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot of that veiling article you linked did *not* resonate with me either (as you can see by my comment on it). That said, I do have a constant running inner dialogue about my brokenness as well, so you've left me with a lot to think about from this post. Thank you for that.

    Another big deal you hit on with this post that is no small thing (for me): You really captured the essence of the little arguments I have with God. That back-and-forth dialogue of thought and feeling about matters of Mass, ritual, sacraments. That tiny little nuanced way you wrote about it is the first time I read about this subject and connected with it. I just thought "YES - that's how it REALLY goes." My spiritual life and dialogue with God are hardly ever a collection of dramatic lightning bolt moments. Too often, this topic is written about in that kind of tone and I can't relate at all. Well done, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written. I have never covered my head at Mass, or even considered it. But a few weeks ago, I went to pray at night before the Blessed Sacrament at a local church. The church was empty ;) and dark, except for the candle at the tabernacle. It was the first time I had prayed before the Blessed Sacrament in years (except for at Mass). For some reason, completely inexplicable and seemingly out of left field, I felt an overwhelming voice in my head urging me to cover my head. I happened to be wearing a hoodie, so I pulled up the hood. At that moment I was filled with peace. I have no explanation for this other than the voice of God, as I have never considered covering my head at all, ever. Totally out of left field. I guess God is a left fielder? Not sure what to make of this, but your post reminded me of this experience. I think I need to blog about it. Thank you so much for sharing this story about God speaking in your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing this post had a "like" button!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this. I love hearing why women choose to cover their heads at Mass (I cover, as you know). I have to say, this is a lot different from what women usually say :-) I am not broken. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! I am one who wears a veil to Mass for the most part and I think its beautiful that God is using the veil to speak truth to you. To let you know that you are not broken and you are His daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have been thinking of you and praying for you lots lately. It is great to hear from you. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story of covering your head at Mass. It is only in the past three months that I have started receiving communion on the tongue, it was definitely a leap of faith for me, but I am so glad that I do now. ...even though it is a bit out of my comfort zone.

    Also, I love this: That I am created as a woman and that my body, whether all the parts are fully present and working or not, is a sign of a sanctuary of life, of receptivity, of nurturing whether it ever does any of those things or not. The fact that it does not is evidence of the Fall and the brokenness of our world, not of my brokenness

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I have lost... er, spent... an hour or so going down the veiling rabbit hole. It never ceases to amaze me how contentious such things can get. I really love how God was able to use a simple piece of cloth to remind you that you are not broken: you are His child, perfect in His eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. So true about these little arguments we have with God... we never win them! But God is our loving Father and will be patient with us until we finally realize we need to listen to Him. :)

    That is really interesting how God is using veiling as a tool to show you your value to Him and your un-brokenness.

    I was called to veil about 2 years ago... it is an interesting call from God. I heard it as God asking me to humble myself. Then as I researched head covering more, I realized it was a way of showing respect to God and Jesus Christ in the Eucharist and also a way God shows respect to women. It is interesting and I found it helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow... I am speechless. Can I e-mail you??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scratch that. I just sent you a PM on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just want to see how you are doing?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.