3.05.2014

Lent 2014


Last year, I had a very spiritually fruitful Lent by stepping away from all things social media - blogging, Facebook, Twitter, everything. I thought a lot about doing that again this year, but what I came to realize is that while the fast was fruitful, come 6 months later not a whole lot had changed. So, this year, I'm going to take a little bit of a different approach.

I'm not going to Fast completely from social media, but I am going to make prayer a priority. I've said twice in the last 6 months or so to Fr. D. that "my prayer life is crap." He's given me suggestions, strategies, tips, "the look" and more. I've tried and failed and tried and failed again and again. The only way my prayer life is going to get better is if I actually make it better. I need to stop waiting for inspiration or the right conditions or the right time or or or. I need to just pray.

So, I'm sure my social media use will go down a bit because my first thought to myself is going to be "have I prayed in the last hour?" before I log in to any social media site. If not, then I will spend at least 5 minutes in prayer before continuing. It may be reading something, listening to some music, or just 5 minutes with the Lord, but whatever it is, it will be about building my relationship with Him and letting Him speak to me. My prayer will lead to fasting. I also fully intend to observe the guidelines for Fasting and Abstinence as well. I can be pretty lax about this and I'm determined to not mess it up this year.

I've also decided I'm going to write The Man 40 letters. On Easter morning, in his Easter basket alongside his chocolate (The Man gave up all white sugar - that's just crazy talk) and some good coffee will be his letters. These letters might be short or long, or song lyrics, or quotes. I'm not going to force length on myself, I'm just going to make sure he has 40 envelopes to open on Easter morning with my thoughts and feelings about how much he means to me and how much of a gift our marriage is to me. While it's not almsgiving in the sense of giving to the poor, I'm realizing that The Man has done so much giving to me in the past 3 years that He really has been neglected.

Finally, I have a few spiritual posts that I'm hesitating to publish. Mostly because they are still things I'm working through (Spiritual Motherhood, Blessings, God's Will, etc) and I don't want to lead anyone astray, but I think I'm just making excuses now, so I'm hoping to publish at least one each week. I also have a few more posts along the lines of the "Keeping It Real" post, not quite as temper-tantrum-y, but definitely not the pretty side of things either that I'd like to get published. Are there any topics you'd like my rambling thoughts on?

6 comments:

  1. I think it would be cool for you to write about your state and why you love it. Random, I know but I thought it might be a fun piece for you to write :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful Easter basket The Man will receive! Your plans for this Lenten season sound like they will produce much fruit. I look forward to reading your upcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the letters to The Man idea and the prayers before internet time idea! I am also really looking forward to all of the great posts forthcoming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Totally stealing your ideas to have 40 letters to give my own honey on Easter Day! Be brave! Publish some of the scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing way to make sure you are praying more! One thing I want to point out is that, in a way, your blogging and reading blogs is a form of faith sharing (the topic came up at our pastoral council meeting last night), so there can be a spiritual benefit to it. I also find that it can encourage me to pray for others. I'm looking forward to reading your posts on Spiritual Motherhood and Blessings. The Man will be getting treat this Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea to take time for prayer before social media. I'm excited for your future posts.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.