2.26.2014

On the Eve of Surgery #2

I'm just about 12 hours away from my second surgery. Not just my second surgery for infertility, but my second surgery ever.

When I think about the path that has led here, I come to one word: obedience. That day in December when the screen of the ultrasound machine clearly showed that I ovulate normally, I knew this is were we were headed. And I dug my heals in, maybe not practically, but spiritually and emotionally, I dug my heals in. I've struggled in ways these past two months that were different than the past years before them. And as I sat down in Fr. D's office on Tuesday, for spiritual direction, confession, and anointing, I knew what the main problem was: anger.

For the first time in 3 years, I've felt anger. Honestly, for the first time in my life I felt real anger. Sure, I get angry at situations or moments, but I get it out and it goes away. I thought I was stunned when I saw that ultrasound screen, but I realize now I was angry. And I stayed angry.

You see, The Man and I had decided. If I didn't ovulate normally, we were done with medical treatment. We didn't know what would come next, but we knew we were done. As much as one can come to peace with that plan before it is put into action, that is where I was at. And as soon as I saw that screen, I knew surgery was next. I hadn't spoken to a doctor or even had a doctor confirm what the ultrasonographer had seen. It came from that place that only can come from God.

And so when Dr. D. made the recommendation, I didn't blink.

When The Man agreed quickly and easily, I didn't blink.

When I scheduled the date, I didn't blink.

And then I saw Fr. D in mid-February, and it was so scattered and so not like our usual sessions,all because of me. I didn't want to hear what he was trying to say to me. It was so bad when I said at the end, I'm so sorry, I don't know what my issue is today, he smiled and said "I think you just needed to get it out." And then, a few days later there was my "Keeping it Real" post. I felt a little better, but not much and not for long.

Then, on Sunday, we went to my Nan's to celebrate my Mom's birthday. It was a near disaster, prevented only because somehow I've learned to just bite my tongue. I won't go into details because they don't matter, but what I realized was how angry I was. At everything and everyone around me. And, quite honestly it scared me because I'm not an angry person. I see the bright side of things, I seek the good in things and people and I don't want to be the person I've been since mid-December.

As I did my examination of conscience to prepare for confession, anger was the theme.

So, as I sat down in Fr. D's office on Tuesday, I was shaking. I had no idea where our session was going to go, but I knew I needed to listen to what he had to say and that I had to figure out this anger. And about 30 minutes in, I finally said it "I am so angry that I have to have surgery again. I just want to go home, have a nice dinner, drink a bottle of wine, make love with The Man, and make a baby. Like a normal person. I do not want to have to do this. I don't want to have to have surgery. I don't want to spend all this money. I don't want to take these days off work. I don't want to have to do this."And relief finally started to come.

I've realized that this surgery is nothing more and nothing less than an act of obedience. He has led me here and whatever comes next, I can say I've done His will to this point. I've not done it well, or gracefully, or even completely willingly, but I have done it and I have to believe that that matters.

Fr. D. and I ended our session, in preparation for my surgery, with the two sacraments of healing: Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick. The details seem too personal, even for me, to share here. I will say I am left with complete awe in the wisdom of our Church to follow the teachings of Christ in the sacraments. There is peace that can only come from God in my heart this evening. A peace that just 3 days ago I wondered if I would ever feel again. It is not a peace absent of anger or hurt or sorrow, but one that is somehow present at the same time.

Thank-you all so much for the prayers you've prayed for us. We are grateful for them and we depend upon them.

Mary, Undoer of Knots, pray for us.

22 comments:

  1. Prayers headed your way! Sometimes letting all that anger out is one of the biggest feelings of relief. I hope it brings you some peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty full of all sorts of emotions when I was about to have a third surgery. When I woke up and found out the endo was worse than we had thought...I was depressed. It was only with God's strength I got through that and healed. Praying for you and your dh as you face this surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you today, Rebecca!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying your surgery went well and that you will have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continued prayers! So glad you had a good session with your confessor; I hate the times when I'm angry with everyone and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you! I'm so inspired! I'm praying for you! Go kick butt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope surgery went well! And hope your feeling ok. Many prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been praying for you these past few days. Thank goodness you could meet with Fr. D before surgery, and have peace beforehand and before recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you and praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our whole family has been praying for you! I hope the surgery went well and that you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you! I understand what you're saying about being angry. I was angry when I was diagnosed with arthritis before the age of 30, after having already had 2 joint surgeries. But more than that, I was angry for a very long time while I was working at my last job; it got to the point that I really didn't like who I was becoming.

    I am so sorry that the party on Sunday was such a disaster. I hope your family is better able to support and encourage you during your recovery. If they aren't able to do so, we're all here for you! Hugs and continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been praying for you and will keep praying for you as you recover!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying and offering up so much for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holding you close in prayer. I am so sorry you have to go through this again. Our Lady of Knots, pray for us!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.