12.13.2013

Quick Takes


Happy Friday!!! These are truly "Quick Takes" as they are all over the place, topic wise.

1. Still hard to believe it's been 5 years of blogging for me. Before this blog, I was never a journal-er or diary keeper. Ever. While there is a lot here that is published and public, there is also a lot that isn't. I also have written journals from the past 2 years or so as well. While I sometimes cringe when going back through my archives at things I said and/or the way I said them, I love having the history and can see growth and also see the ebb and flow of life. It helps to remind me that the hard times won't stick around forever. And just in case you missed it yesterday, go here for the give-away post!

2. I survived my first semester of Grad School (again!). I got an "A-" in my Philosophy for Theologians course and an "A" in my Synoptic Gospels course. I really enjoyed both courses and learned a lot. I'm not gonna lie, my brain hurts and I have a lot to work on RE: Time Management for Spring 2013. I am taking two more courses next semester: Fundamentals of Moral Theology I and One and Triune God. I've already printed the syllabus for each course and yikes! Wonder if there is a "Cliff's Notes" version of the Summa Theologica....

3.

Football season has also come to a close. From my lack of writing about it, one might wonder if there was a football season. It was a rough year. All the way around. We lost games we should have won. We lost games we should have lost. It was just rough. Many fans are calling for our head coach and athletic director to be fired. I'm not sure that either one of those is a prudent decision. A lot of "new" has happened over the past couple of seasons and to make major changes before we can see where this "new" is taking us could be disastrous. But so could not making major changes. Only time will tell, and I think we have to give the current system one more season. In the meantime, in case you were wondering, The Man and I did faithfully use our season tickets this year - even the last game. In the cold. When even a win wouldn't get us into a bowl game. We stayed to the end. To watch us blow a 21 - point lead and lose in triple over time. See? I told you it was a rough year.

4. I'm mid-way through my FMS. The good news is that I did indeed ovulate. I am glad to say that for the first time in all of this my "gut" instinct was wrong. I usually prefer to be "right", but I'm OK with being wrong in this case. I have a lot more thoughts about this, but there isn't much order to them and the emotions run the gamut of extremes, so I'll have to get a better handle on all of it before I just start rambling. For now, I'm just trying to focus on the positive that for the first time I can cross something off the list rather than put a check mark beside it.

5.  The weekend is Gaudete Sunday. The last two years I've felt anger and overwhelming sadness. While I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hopeful for this cycle, something about *knowing* you ovulated has a way of doing that, I think my overwhelming feeling this weekend is numbness. I feel like there is an onslaught of emotions just under the surface that I'm not letting out. I'm sure they'll come out at some point, I'm just hoping it's in the form of tears and not some stupid spaz out on The Man.

6. Three years ago, I decided I wasn't buying my parents or The Man's parents any more "stuff" for holidays or birthdays. It started with tickets for my Dad for Christmas to go see his college basketball team play and has continued with tickets to ball games, gift certificates to dinners, tickets to musicals, pedicures and more. This Sunday, my Dad and I are heading to Philadelphia to go to a Beach Boys concert. They are his favorite band and I've been hoping to be able to get these tickets since I very first had this idea. The Beach Boys just hadn't been close by over the past years. But they were this year! He was so touched when he opened his birthday card back in October, he could barely say thank-you. I started this plan before we knew my Dad had cancer and it was the best decision I could have made. The extra time we've spent with our parents has truly been priceless. I'm sure I'll have pictures of our trip sometime next week!

7. Running. Hmm, I think I still do that. I'm registered for a half marathon in May (Pittsburgh again), so I'll have to do at least some training - ha! Seriously though, I haven't run since the marathon on 10/26 - that's almost 6 weeks now. I did have to put forth some serious effort to get finished with my graduate classes on time and then, quite honestly, it's just been too cold. If I had stayed in my routine of running, I wouldn't be such a wimp about it. I'm hoping for a short warm spell next week to get me going again. My CD of photos from the marathon arrived, so I expect there will be a photo dump of those on FB sometime soon as well.

Well, I'm out of takes, so have a great weekend! Don't forget to visit Jen for more Quick Takes!


10 comments:

  1. Feeling hopeful with you, and for you this month! So good that your FMS is turning out good. Wow, I didn't realize the last game ended so badly, that hurts (The Pack not having Aaron Rodgers is killing me.) Have fun with your Dad!!!!...I might steal your tx idea, luv it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea about buying your parents tickets and gift certificates. My in-laws are sooo hard to buy for, and my dad *always* just says to buy him movies. He must have hundreds of movies. We've gotten my parents both hockey tickets and football tickets for their last couple of anniversaries, I don't know why we haven't done that for birthdays/Christmas!

    Get running! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping and praying for you. I'm really glad that you do ovulate. I know that opens a lot of other thoughts/feelings (you're right, knowing you ovulate makes you totally hope positive BFP hopes) but it really is good to know that part is happening...

    It's been too cold here to run the last couple of weeks. The weather man is calling for 58 degrees on Wednesday...I'm holding out hope so I can get another outdoor run in sometime,

    Love your takes...yay on a break from school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that the FMS has been going well, and that you do ovulate.

    Enjoy your semester break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you had such a crummy football season!! I feel your pain. And good job on your classes! That's awesome. Go you! I hope your Sunday is restful and peaceful =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have part of a Masters degree in Theological Studies and I totally get your brain hurting. I had those times more often than I care to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5 years of blogging is awesome! Do you ever sort of want to "delete some of the evidence" so to speak? I know there are some posts back in my archives that are pretty ridiculous, but I don't delete them because they are all a part of things. I so hope next year is better for football!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain with the football. UT did better this year; we're expecting big things out of this new coach! He's doing something right...he got some good recruits this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great update! Interested in hearing more about your feelings on the FMS. I really, truly hope that this ovulation is a cause for celebration! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it amazing how ovulation messes with your mind? And don't even get me started on the winter running. I don't have any motivation and with the holidays here soon, I'm sure that I'll find more excuses not to lace up!

    Happy bloggoversary!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.