8.12.2013

Updates

As I was doing my quick takes on Friday, I realized there was so much I hadn't written about - yikes!

So, in list format, here are some updates:

1. My 3rd godchild was baptized Aug. 4. The Man and I are working on a wall gallery for our house to display pictures of our godchildren, I can't wait until it's finished. Maybe before the first one graduates from high school I will post a picture of it here. For now, here is a photo of me, Ella, and her mom:


2. My Nan had major surgery again on Aug. 6. As of this writing, she is recovering well, but has a long road ahead of her. It's so hard seeing her walk in to surgery making jokes and in great spirits and coming out unable to walk across a room without help. Unfortunately the surgery was necessary as she continued to have bowel blockages caused by hernias and the bowel blockages are extremely dangerous should her intestine rupture. We are praying that she recovers well and gains some quality of life.

3. Since I'm on the topic of surgery, I'll say that both Sara and my Dad are doing awesome! Sara is training for a marathon; my dad and I enjoyed a trip to Cedar Point with my little brother and ran all over the park riding coaster after coaster. Truly grateful for answered prayers!

4. I'm starting grad school in a couple of weeks. Why yes, I have lost my mind. As I've been getting ready, I will admit I've wondered what in the world I was thinking while at the same time being super excited. I'm getting a Master's Degree in Theology with a Concentration in Moral Theology from Holy Apostles College and Seminary. It's a distance learning program, so that means lots of on-line work and having to pace myself. Have I ever mentioned what a great procrastinator I am? Prayers are appreciated!

5. This weekend I am off to Mahoment, Illinois (read: small town, USA) for a half-marathon, but more importantly a girls' weekend with Michelle and Sarah, and hopefully Katie! I'm picking Sarah up on my way through Indianapolis and having dinner with my Indianapolis friends, Jenny, and three other ladies! Seriously, I think I have more IRL friends in Indianapolis than I do in Morgantown. Ha!

6. A couple of weeks ago I got to hang out with Ecce Fiat at a conference we were at together and on Saturday we went for custard at Ted Drewes and to see Les Mis at the Muny (an outdoor theater in St. Louis). It was awesome. Before I knew you weren't allowed to take pictures at all, I got this one:



7. The Man and I spent a week at the beach last month. I'm not sure a week of relaxation and doing ab.so.lute.ly. nothing was needed more. Well, The Man did build a sandcastle for my friend's daughter. Here they are sitting in the castle, please notice Sara is on her throne and The Man is on a regular seat ;). We've already booked our house for next year!



6. Football season starts soon. Yes, I know I mentioned this on Friday, but...well, do you really need an explanation at this point? :)

7. We also had a busy weekend this weekend. On Saturday Stephanie  hosted a great cookout for fellow IFers. I said it was the best kind of cookout to get an invite to: the desserts were all gluten-free and there weren't children everywhere! (Yes, I realize there is a degree of "that's just sad" in that statement, but seriously, after my work picnic a couple of weeks ago, I SO needed this. It was also great to have Lora and her DH spend the night with us.

8. Finally, yesterday after Mass, we packed up Mei Mei and went to visit Fr. DeViese and Maximus for a puppy plate date and dinner. Fr. DeViese made homemade noodles for he and The Man to eat and homemade sauce (I had gluten-free pasta, but I did have the homemade sauce and taste the noodles). It was awesome! The pups had a great time as well. I wish I'd taken some video of them chasing and playing in the field, but I was too busy running around with them. Here they are just before collapsing into two giant heaps (a puppy play date just isn't complete without Mary watching over you!):

9. I also recently had another appointment with Fr. D for spiritual direction. He challenged me once again and left me with so much to think and pray about and reflect upon. It was helpful and really helped The Man and I to make decisions regarding what comes next. I'll blog more about it when I can wrap my head around it a bit better, but I will be calling Dr. D. to schedule an appointment and will likely be having a second surgery later this year.

Well, I think that's all that is new and has been going on. Have a great Monday and an even better week!

18 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see you this weekend! And when do we get to find out if Katie is coming? should I be driving her? LOL

    I'm excited to hear about what's happened about #9!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, that is, if you plan to share. Geez, Michelle, be all pushy and nosey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that your appointment Fr. D was so helpful, and that it made decision making regarding treatment easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous of all the meet-ups, but hope you have a blast!
    Which beach??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dumb phone. I've tried to type a comment like 10 times now! Mahomet is only 40 minutes from where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous you get to see Jenny!!! Can you pack me in your suitcase? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you forgot... #10. Jenny is my new spiritual director.

    See you Thursday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That castle is seriously cool. The Man rocks!
    Love the dogs playing under Mary's watchful eye!
    19 more days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Noah will be jealous that Mr Man had a play date with someone else. He'll want to invite him to our next beach trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mahomet, Illinois, huh? You know if you put things on the internet like that, you never know when you might get a party crasher!

    I just wish it could me. Have a WONDERFUL time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like there are a lot of good things in the works! I am excited to see a pic of your gallery wall, what a great idea. we may copy it. Enjoy your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like there are a lot of good things in the works! I am excited to see a pic of your gallery wall, what a great idea. we may copy it. Enjoy your half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to Il...I actually live in a small town USA kind a place myself about 3 1/2 hours north of Mahomet, IL. All I can really say about IL is that it's pretty "flat". Lots of corn fields, etc.

    Congrats on deciding to pursue further education. I got my master's about three summers ago.wow..time flies. I'm so thankful I did it because it has opened so many doors for me...like the new career I'm pursuing now with IL, EI.

    I'm a procrastinator queen too. It's bad. If it can be put off..I will. Maybe that is one of the reasons teaching didn't work out for me...if you procrastinated...the work piled up and **sigh** stress ensued. Oh well...procrastinating is one thing I seem to be working on all the time.

    Have fun with your meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy the meet-ups! Such fun!! :) Continuing to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, that illegal Les Mis photo :) so glad I had that time with you! Call me if you ever want to chat theology, ok? There's also this phd student I know who's pretty knowledgeable in moral theology :)

    Congrats on the godbaby...love the sandcastle ... enjoy those meetups!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sad that we didn't connect while we were on our way home. We so need a teleporter!

    So excited about your Masters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really glad to hear about your Nan and dad and Sara (well, not that your Nan needed another surgery, but that she is recovering well).

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.