5.20.2013

The Post I Drafted

What follows is the post I mentioned last week that was still in draft form. I started to revise it and take out some of the repetitive details, but I decided I wanted it to stand as written. The only detail that is in error is of course the line about CD1 starting "today." I had written this post on Mother's Day evening fully expecting to post it sometime on Monday when AF arrived. Well, we all know what happened to change that plan. However, The Man and I talked when CD1 finally did arrive on Thursday, and we are still in agreement and the peace I speak of is still there. And the gratitude, well, it only goes deeper now.

So, I know Adopt-a-Blogger that awesome Amy over at This Cross I Embrace has organized is meant to pray the blogger of the month over the last hurdle to motherhood and so I realize that what I'm about to say isn't exactly that, but for me, it is a huge example of the power of prayer and is proof that your prayers are working.

You see, way back last January (even before) when I had my surgery, The Man and I agreed we would  take each next step one-step at a time. Neither one of us where sure about medications for lots of reasons, but we were open to what the doctors had to say. As each next step came, we agreed that we'd go with it for 6 months. With each step we were comfortable with the plan and the length of time for the plan.

Going in to this month of being the adopted blogger, I knew that if we were not to conceive, it would be time to re-evaluate again. And while I knew you were all praying for us to conceive, I just knew when I got a UTI as a result of our peak day "date," I wouldn't be getting a BFP this month. And so I started praying for clarity and for what was to be next to become clear, and for it to become clear before CD1 so that I knew it wasn't just an emotional response.

And so, as I was driving 2 1/2 hours south to teach NFP, I found that the music just seemed too loud - whatever station or playlist I had on. So, as I often do, I drove in silence. I marveled at the beauty of my state and wondered how people live here and don't believe in God. His presence is so clear to me, and Tuesday, it was even more so. And my thoughts drifted to our infertility and what was to come next. And it was as if God was in the car with me, whispering into my left ear, "Trust me."

And so I did, and I let my mind go blank (except for of course focusing on the road) and I listened. And I was a little surprised, but immediately at peace with what came. I chose not to say anything to The Man until I was sure, and I slept on it for a few days. When I told him my thoughts, he fully agreed and said he was already thinking the same thing.

So, it is CD1. The tell-tale spotting started yesterday - yep, Mother's Day - and AF fully arrived today.

And tomorrow, I will not be taking my letrozole.

We aren't taking a break, but we are.

What that means is this:

I am not going to take meds that are really for the purpose of conceiving, namely the letrozole (Femera) or the HCG post-peak.

I am going to take meds that improve my overall quality of health and life, namely the metformin and synthroid.

We are going to continue TTC "the old-fashioned way."

We will keep charting.

I will still keep following my gluten-free diet and we are going to look at slowly adapting to a more low-carb, low-dairy diet as well.

Since most of my medical plans were for 6 months at a time, we are going to follow this plan for 6 months.

I run my marathon in October, and if I run it, it will mean we have not conceived. It is just one more example of trying to live my life while hoping for something different. Afterwards we will re-evaluate again, knowing that the recommendation will be for a second surgery.

There is a piece of me that feels like a complete wuss, and had I not experienced the peace I felt in the car, and the calm I have felt since then combined with The Man's reaction, I would worry that I was "giving up." I had even just told my FCP that I wasn't "done yet" when we spoke last week. Now I realize this had more to do with a few misunderstood beliefs I had than where I really was emotionally.

First, I had to realize that it was OK and give myself permission to still feel the pain of infertility even if we weren't taking meds. You see, before this week, I felt like if I wasn't doing every. single. thing. my doctors recommended, then when CD1 arrived, I had no right to be sad or disappointed. (And please know, this was no reflection on anyone else's choices, purely my own.)

Second, I also had to realize that just because I wasn't taking meds, it didn't mean we weren't still trying. Yes, I realize it may affect our likelihood of conceiving, but that doesn't mean we aren't trying. Or that we aren't hoping. Or that CD1 will hurt any less.

I know that the ability to come to this decision and the clarity and peace I feel with it are all thanks to your prayers. I know the month is not over, and there is a piece of me that almost said to The Man "but we have to do meds just one more month because all my bloggy-friends are praying for us" but I realized that was dishonest. I knew that this peace and new "plan" was a direct result of your prayers, and to not honor where those prayers led me would be to dishonor the prayers themselves. I would be honored and humbled if you all would still continue to pray as we take our first steps of this next plan to grow our family.

Again, I know this isn't what you all were praying for specifically, but it was an unspoken intention of mine for clarity and peace about what comes next. I have that now, and to say I am grateful to you all is so inadequate, but it is all I have. Well, that and my prayers. Please know I am praying for each of you, and especially for the intentions you left on my post earlier this month. And again, from the bottom of my heart, thank-you for yours.

16 comments:

  1. I know the peace you feel...I had one of those moments about 9 1/2 years ago. I am so glad that you have that feeling wrapped around you.

    Praying for you Rebecca. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continued prayers for you Rebecca! Peace is a beautiful thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested to see how you feel with the low-carb, dairy-free regimen. I've been doing so much reading and the hormones and additives in regular dairy really makes me question the health of it anymore. And of course, I've felt great on the grain-free, dairy-free, legume-free regimen myself...

    I'm so glad for your peace. I think it's great that you are going to keep trying the "old fashioned" way. I am praying that the time will come (and soon) and that the time is that time God appointed for you and The Man to grow your family in some way. It has been amazing to watch your growth just in the spiritual realm over the past couple of years...I'm almost jealous :)

    Continued prayers for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to hear that you have found peace. On this bumpy, difficult road, peace is so hard to find. I really struggle with self-doubts and questioning everything. Right now I am hoping and praying most for something like that peace, praying "God, what do you want from me now? What are you calling me to do?"

    I hope that you will be able to stress less and be happier during this time of trying the "old fashioned" way and that this peace stays with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was on vacation last week, so I missed the drama of the late period. I'm so sorry. I was suffering severely from WTF Syndrome when I was twenty-four hours late, I can't imagine what would have happened had I made it to P+18...only to start my period a few hours later. I'm so sorry.

    I think you are coping with this with strength and dignity. I'm so glad that our prayers have helped you to feel at peace with where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were able to find clarity & you are at peace with your next 6 months of a new plan. GF, DF is the way to go. You might want to look at the "meat" you are eating, how the animals are fed, cuz that may have an effect on your diet plan too(you may have know this already)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very glad you are finding peace! It is soo hard to know what to do and when it's time to re-evaluate. I think the 6 month at a time idea is great though. Our prayers for you will continue no matter what y'all are doing at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Continuing to pray for you, dear friend!!! God has a plan for you... but I know it is so hard to wait on His timing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know about giving up on the F.emara and HCG. Since I've been gaining weight I know the hormones have something to do with it and how is that healthy? I'm sure soon I'll give up that med and I know my dh will be okay with too. Low carb and low dairy is what I need to be doing too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud and inspired! I have felt those same feelings when thinking of stopping, and I can relate. You are taking a brave step and The Lord is with you, he will never forsake you. Prayers for this part of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finding peace in this journey is tough. I know that He is with you and that you are surrounded by prayer.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are not weak to take a break! I know what you mean, about the question in the back of your head, "But what if we tried this or that...?" I think it's beautiful that both you and the Man had a mutual sense of peace about taking a break. You are an inspiration.

    Praying that the peace you felt sinks deeper and deeper into your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been offering things up for you! Praying that you continue to feel peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers and more prayers. I am so sorry for the heartbreak of the last cycle. It sounds like what you are doing is a solid plan, thought out, purposeful, and definitely not "wuss-y". Perhaps God is wanting to lead you into a season of peace without all the strain of "trying" (although I know you have definitely NOT given up!). I hope He does beautiful things for you and your husband through this next phase of the journey. HUGS to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes when we step away for all the control we find the answers we are looking for. You are in my prayers. Trust in our God that he knows how much you can endure. AND I hope you have a fabulous summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You plan sounds excellent. I'm so sorry that this month didn't work out. You're going to be such a wonderful mother- I want your blessing to come NOW!!! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.