9.14.2012

Quick Takes


1. If I could start these takes out by asking for your prayers for my Dad. He called last night to tell me that during his regular check-up (which includes a chest xray) they found a spot on his left lung. He will have to have a PET/CAT (he couldn't remember which) scan and a biopsy to figure out what the spot is exactly and what to do about it. I realize that we really know nothing at this point, but my brain is going to all of those dark places - only made darker by the fact that 20 years ago this month my Dad's Dad died of lung cancer. While my Dad has never smoked a day in his life, there has been lots of second hand smoke. I am doing my best to keep these thoughts at bay, but I would appreciate the prayers for my Dad so so much. (If you happen to know me IRL or my Dad, please keep this news to yourself. He specifically asked that I not tell anyone except The Man, but I can't not ask for the prayers of this awesome community. So thank you in advance!)

2. Speaking of prayers, I realize I have been remiss in telling you about the beautiful answer to the prayers for my friend Cody. After returning to WV, he was hired as the Interim Executive Director of the WV Ecumenical Council of Churches. As he finished his interim term, he met with the Vocations Director in our Diocese and after prayer discerned that it was time to reinter the seminary through our diocese. Cody is now attending The Theological College at Catholic University of America as a seminarian in our diocese. His heart is peaceful and he is so far enjoying CUA. If you all would please keep him on your prayer list, as we know life as a seminarian is not easy!

3.  2 weeks ago (seriously, if I don't get better about my football-related blogging I'm gonna lose my WVU Fan Card) WVU hosted Marshall in the season opener. It was the perfect weather all day and the game did not last 7 hours this year (like it did last year thanks to lightening and thunder storms). This year, my friend Cassie who is now family (she is my step-cousin-in-law - we decided we're just gonna go with cousin!) and her new husband will be sitting with us most of the season. So excited!!!

The Man, Me, Cassie, and Justin 
4. AND - we won!!!  In our last 2 games (the Orange Bowl and this game) we are averaging 69.5 points per game. I'll be a happy girl if this continues!!! I figure when we play Oklahoma State the first team to 100 will win.


5. So, it's P+14. I haven't seen P+14 since April. I've been sure for the last 3 days that AF was coming. She hasn't. I had a 2 1/2 hour drive today for work. I spent the entire first two hours hoping and planning and dreaming. I spent the entire last 30 minutes trying to talk myself down to earth. I'm pretty much petrified of what the next few days will bring. I'm trying to allow myself to hope because ultimately I know hope is a good thing, but I'm trying to temper that hope with the fact that it might be crushed. I haven't made it past P+13 since April. Updated Saturday Morning: It is now CD1.

6.  Of course, I am at a marriage prep weekend - which means The Man and I have to give our witness talk tomorrow and share our NFP story. I just heard one of the girls say "have twins so you can get it over with." Ah, blissful ignorance. :( Yep, I'm pretty sure AF will be here tonight or tomorrow. I really think it's time The Man and I discuss passing the baton on to another couple. Suddenly this short 1 hour talk tomorrow seems like climbing Mt. Everest. Thank God I will have The Man with me.

7. Tomorrow WVU plays James Madison University in a home-game-that's-not-really-at-home since the Redskins offered us $2 million to come play at Fed Ex Field. I have all. sorts. of. issues. with this. For now, I'm just hoping we don't pick tomorrow to be "the game we lose but should win big" and then I can move on (and probably rant about all of my issues). In any case - Let's GOOOOOO Mountaineers!!!!

Jen is busy with her reality show taping, so head on over to Camp Patton for more Quick Takes! Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. Praying for your dad...it's never a good feeling to have a parent who has to have health "issues" investigated. Last summer, we were afraid my mother might have can.cer as well. It was so scary. Thank God, my mom was okay and I pray the same for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all too well the fear you're facing with your father. All sorts of prayers heading your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for your dad and peace for you! God bless your marriage prep. talk tomorrow, I know how those are, Praise God He has you and your husband to be His witnesses :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be praying for your Dad. We found out today that my Mom will be starting her third battle with cancer. It's hard to wrap your emotions around...other than thinking how much I hate cancer! Prayer has gotten us through it before and I'm hoping and praying it will again and that it will for your family, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for your dad and you!! Hang in there and I think I will hope right along with you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for your dad and Cody and you! I'm with Michelle, I'm going to hope right along with you. Because if the day comes that He decides to change waiting to reality, then I want to be found hoping when it happens. But I'm also praying for His will, whatever that may be, and peace for your heart, whatever happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you on Quick Takes even if it isn't all happy news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for your Dad and your talk this weekend. Pass the baton on if you need. You don't have to carry it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers for your Dad!
    Thank is such good news about Cody, continued prayers!

    Hope the weekend goes smoothly and brings happy surprises.
    Hugs and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep me updated on your dad, I will keep him in my prayers. Along with you. What an exciting and scary and anxious weekend it will be waiting on AF! I'll be saying lots of extra prayers this weekend! Cousins is much more fitting! I am nervous for today's game but excited for a great season next to y'all! HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely praying for your dad!!! And of course for you and your dh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for you and your dad. Hope the talk went well...Yay for football!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for your dad!! And I agree, you certainly shouldn't feel bad about passing the baton on to another couple. I'm sure y'all got lots of graces for sticking it out this time though! Also, I love the fun football pic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jon just told me that we have to do marriage prep, so pass the baton to us

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.