6.15.2012

Quick Takes


1.
Wow. It's been about forever since I did a Quick Takes. It has also been forever since I posted pictures. Don't get your hopes up too far, there still won't be pictures today :(. I figure if I work on some editing this weekend maybe for next week. Maybe.

2.
Father's Day weekend is upon us. I dread this weekend more than Mother's Day. As I was selecting a card for my Dad, I picked up 2 that made some reference to what a great grandfather he is also. Between that and the "new dad," "expecting dad," and "first Father's Day," cards, I shed tears in Hal.lmark for the first time in a long time. Not being a mother is hard enough, considering a life where The Man is not a father brings me to my knees. He is the reason I keep moving forward; keep trying; keep scheduling more appointments. It isn't 2 lines I dream about, it is telling The Man he is going to be a daddy.

3.
Abigail (a fellow Catholic West Virginian!) wrote a beautiful post earlier this week about the Dad's who don't get to be Father's. She also went above and beyone and is sending The Man a card from her and her husband - both Carmelites. I think I'll just have the box of tissues ready for when I see it arrive in the mail.

4.
In regards to my own Dad, for Christmas I bought him tickets to watch his Alma Mater, Duquesne, play basketball. We had such a great day that I've decided I'm not buying him any more "stuff" for holidays or birthdays. Instead, it will only be things that give us time together. It's Pirate Tickets for Father's Day. We did this with our moms for Mother's Day also - had them over for brunch instead of gifts. I guess I'm getting old, as I appreciate time much more than things these days. Or maybe it is another blessing of IF that I didn't anticipate. 

5.
I finally got new running shoes. They were badly needed. I'd been wearing the same ones since I started running 2 1/2 years ago. Seeing as how it's recommended to get new ones about every 300 miles, I was way overdue! I broke them in last night and aside from a small blister on my toe (that could be sock-related) I am pleased with my choice.

6.
However, when I ordered my shoes I was a little offended to be called a "Clydesdale or Athena" runner. While I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, I certainly know what a Clydesdale is in regards to a regular horse - bigger. And while I know I have a few more pounds to lose, I'm certainly not THAT gigantic. When consulting swami-google, I did indeed learn my instinct was correct. I'm just glad to be a woman, because Athena sounds way better than Clydesdale! (At least that's what Sara tells me.)

7.
Well, I did get a few picturse thrown in here, though none of them are mine. All pictures do link back to their source. Be sure to visit Jen for more Quick Takes. Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. I really need to get new shoes.. the gigantic blisters on my feet aren't going to help me continue. I'll be praying for your family and for other infertile couples this weekend.
    Thanks for all your motivation on daily mile. I'm so glad I joined it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I should totally sign up for the Pittsburgh Rock n Roll marathon too, it's only 2 hours from where I live now and I might have my future husband to run with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Yes you should!!! Because who doesn't want to run 13.1 miles. in August. in Pittsburgh?

      Delete
  3. I hear you on Father's day...at least part of it. Hang in there. Prayers for you and The Man.

    New shoes! Yay!! And even when I am at an ideal weight (which I have not been in long time) I am still considered "Clydesdale". Ugh. I hate that distinction!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: #2. I am totally with you on that. I POAS for the first time in many moons yesterday, and when it came up negative, I was cool. But then when I told Husband what the test had said, I started bawling, because I had SO hoped to be telling him that he'd be a dad for Father's Day.

    Yay on the new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so sorry about the BFN :(. Keeping you in my prayers this weekend!

      Delete
  5. You do know that Athena is the Goddess of: wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, just warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

    So, yea, I think I'm right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right :) - way better than a horse that pulls a beer cart!

      Delete
  6. I'm so horrible about replacing shoes as often as I should! It really does make a big difference, but I act like they never need replacing unless they have actual holes.

    I love the idea of spending money on things to do together. I think my siblings and I are going to start giving my parents money for all occasions for the next couple of years. We want them to save up for a trip to the Grand Canyon, since they've talked about it for YEARS and never gone. We don't spend much on gifts as a family, so it'll take a while, but I'm with you that memories are better than more stuff.

    I don't know God's plan, but if it's His will, I'm praying you will get to give The Man the big news SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really trying hard not to think about the implications of another barren Father's Day. It just sucks, doesn't it?

    Love the new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. Praying for you extra this weekend JB!

      Delete
  8. I love your new running shops! And your gift idea for Father's Day. My own dad appreciates "doing" and not "concrete gifts."
    I thought of all the longing-to-be-Fathers on Father's day, along with all of the longing-to-be-Mothers. I prayed especially hard for you and The Man. Hang in there. You WILL be a Mom! (((HUGS)))
    P.S. Hallmark cards always make me cry! I always go for the sappy cards instead of the funny cards when I shop for my dad/husband.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.