2.17.2012

Post-Op Wrap-Up & Blogger Meet Up!

I got to meet Isaiah and Mr. Isaiah on Wednesday! She happened to have an appointment with Dr. S. on the same day as I did and we were able to meet up for a late lunch and a great afternoon of conversation. It's always so awesome to put a voice with the words and face behind the blog - and it seemed The Man and Mr. Isaiah enjoyed getting to chat as well. It's always so refreshing to sit and talk with someone who truly "gets it" and to share stories and prayers. I appreciate every single one of my IRL friends who asks how we are/for updates and offers prayers, but to get to talk to another IFer in person is pretty much a priceless opportunity. I always got the premise behind support groups, but now I really get them. Thank-you so much for waiting to leave town and meeting us!

As you know, I saw Dr. S. on Wednesday for probably the last time. While I'm glad I don't have an immediate appointment scheduled, and I'm glad for Dr. S. that he is retiring, I'm sad that I won't see him again. There is a list a mile long that I could create about the reasons that I know he is a Saint walking on this earth. I'm so grateful to have been able to have my surgery with him and for the hours he's spent explaining, treating, and answering questions. Those of you who know Dr. S. know exactly what I'm talking about; those of you who don't, all I can say is that you have truly missed out.

So, what did my post-op appointment glean?

  • All of the endo Dr. S. saw was removed. The biopsy's came back negative for anything but endo, so that is good. Endo was on both ovaries, worse on lefty and on my bladder...but it's all gone now!
  • During my pelvic exam, I was shocked (truly) at the lack of discomfort I felt. I had just assumed that all of the discomfort I felt during my pre-op exams was normal. Now, that's not to say that it wasn't uncomfortable, I mean, really, when someone pushes on the same spot from both inside AND outside your body at the same time, it doesn't feel good, but I had NO idea it wasn't supposed to feel like it did pre-surgery until Wednesday. I'm pretty sure Dr. S. thinks I'm crazy and though to himself "yep, this is why I'm retiring" because I kept saying over and over again how stunned I was at the difference. (And I didn't need a re.ctal exam either - double yay!!!)
  • My tubes are indeed open. There's no way to know what caused the blockage, but Dr. S. said they should be considered open unless we get to 12 - 18 months from this point without conceiving and then we should redo the HSG portion of the surgery
  • The "plan" is to continue TTC for 6 - 9 months with just the luteal phase support. If no bfp by then, schedule an appointment with Dr. D. (a partner in Dr. S.'s practice) to look into ovulation support. 
  • The only possible change we may make to this "plan" is this cycle we are trying prometrium vag.inally to see if the headaches I get are related directly to the prometrium or to the way it is absorbed into my system. (My concern was if I do get pg and need progesterone support, am I destined to the headaches - so Dr. S. said this was one way to find out). If this doesn't work and I still get the headaches, we will switch to HCG next cycle.
So, today it is P+3, which means day 1 of prometrium and the 2ww has begun. Trying to remind myself that no ones gets pregnant on the first post-op cycle. Trying to remind myself that we only have suspicions that I do indeed ovulate regularly. Trying to remind myself that while we have received many answers, there is no guarantee this road is coming to an end any time soon.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan from Dr S!

    Btw, we're cycle buddies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is encouraging to read how you plan to change administering of prometrium. I do mine that way because the body absorbs it more rapidly exactly where it is needed that way (that's what my Dr. H says, anyway)

    So glad your endo is gone!! and also that your tubes are open. Renewed prayers (with a bounce in their step) are coming your way. :)

    Good idea to stay grounded. Remember what you know...there is a time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the good news. Praying for you and your husband, that God will fill you with joy, love, and peace (and a baby!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear that everything is going so well, and praying that your waiting is over soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good plan. Oh, the 2ww. I'll pray that this one goes quickly and that you won't have to undergo too many more 2wws!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the follow-up went well, hope the headaches get better soon. As Michelle wrote ~ Renewed prayers with new hope coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are healing well!! I think that is a great plan. And you're right, it often does take (at least) a few cycles after surgery...your body's been through a lot! It all sounds very promising though, goodbye endo, goodbye pain! :) PS. I heart HCG, it is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, you have a plan! A good one! And I am so glad you got to work with Dr. S before he retired... what a blessing. And yes - it typically takes a few cycles for things to heal and for the prometrium to do it's thing too. :) Hope the headaches go away, but thank goodness for HCG as another possible option!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right there with ya, my 2ww is down to 1-ish now but I'm so anxious. I'm glad you have a plan and that you got to meet Isaiah and hubs. I'm sad I missed out, but next time definitely. So glad to hear you're already experiencing the benefits of surgery! Hopefully the headaches go away. Yay no rectal exams!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knowing a doctor that you trust and feel comfortable with is no longer going to be available is sad news. I fear the day some of ours are no longer around. I worried when one went on maternity leave that she wouldn't return. I hope that your positive experience continues with your new doc, and you continue to grow and learn with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like things are moving in a very positive direction. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, so now that you know Dr S, you'll appreciate this story:

    My post-op pelvic was so quick and painless that I actually sat up when he was done and said, "Wow, that wasn't bad at all!!"

    Without stopping writing in his file or looking up, he replied, "Well, when you start coming back asking for them, then I'll be concerned."

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoping this 2WW and road ends miraculously for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forgive me for my ignorance---all I was able to understand was "pelvic exam" and "rectal exam."

    Other than that----I'm praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited for you to begin trying after surgery! I'm praying for hope and for a BFP at the end of your 2WW.
    I'm thrilled you met Isaiah and her hubby! I'll bet it was an amazing time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.