1.06.2012

Quick Takes

7 quick takes sm1 Your 7 Quick Takes Toolkit!
Happy Friday!

1. How was my week learning Karol Wojtyla's Love and Responsibility from Janet Smith? Um? A.maz.ing! Factor in daily mass, prayer, adoration, reconciliation, and more and it's indescribable. I am so blessed to have a job that allows me such amazing opportunities. I head back home today.

2.  Wednesday night gave me proof that God does indeed care about the small things! I was distraught (not an exaggeration) that I wasn't going to get to watch the Orange Bowl with WVU playing Clemson. The Man was even kind of surprised that I didn't change my plans for the whole week (I decided that would have been a violation of the whole "thou shalt not have other gods before Me" detail). BUT, after adoration, I sat down to get ready to listen to one of our local radio stations online and thought, I'll just check one more time and see if I can watch ESPN live here. WELL, while our internet provider at home does not support ESPN live streaming (stupid Comcast!) the one here (in the middle-of-nowhere, PA) did! So, I got to watch the Orange Bowl. God does love me! Here's a screen shot before the last TDs were scored:

3. AAAANNNNND....WVU won, 70 - 33 was the final score. Yes, that was a football game! I'm pretty sure my fellow classmates think I'm totally insane, but I'm OK with that :). It will be a great offseason to be a Mountaineer!!! (Though I am a little nervous our defensive coordinator may leave :(.)
4.  Sorry about the Linky on yesterday's post - I thought I had it all set to work when I scheduled the post... apparently I was wrong :(.
5.  It seems like weeks at the TOB Institute coincide with big news on the IF front. Last time it was my first visit with P. (the Nurse Practitioner (NP) that works with Dr. S). This time it was getting a surgery date! January 17. That is in 11 days. I know in my head that this surgery is really no big deal, but I am pretty freaked out about it. It's a lot of logistics to work out and so soon and just, well, a big deal I guess. I was blessed with the opportunity to go to mass within 15 minutes of getting the surgery date, and while I walked in on the verge of tears and could barely sing the gathering hymn, I was blessed to receive the peace of Christ in the Sacrament of the Eucharist. It was a profound moment in my understanding of how we are called to draw our strength through the sacraments.
Picture links to source.
6. So, as it relates to my freaking out: if I could ask for your prayers for a sense of peace and not fear about this. I'm sure it's just a fear of the unknown as it relates to the surgery specifics, but I also know that it is a fear of what it is unknown about the results and what it will mean for our future TTC. There is also a sense of anger and, really, an extreme sadness that we are at this point. I know many of you have walked a road much longer, and some of you are just at the beginning, but I'd like to think that when faced with these milestones, these "next steps" that we all feel similar in the sense that "all I wanted to do was make love to my husband and make a baby." You know, do things "the old fashioned way." We long ago passed that, but each time there is such hope that "this" will just be it. That the only next step will be picking out names and decorating a nursery. 

7. One thing I am grateful about is that I will be having my surgery and follow-up with Dr. S. before he retires. I did know of his retirement when I had my appointment (he told The Man and me at the end), and I'm so extremely grateful to have taken the steps we took and being able to have Dr. S. do my surgery. He was the only reason I was comfortable moving forward with NaPro and getting in for the surgery is such a blessing I am grateful for. The date will make things a bit challenging for work, so if you would please also pray that it goes smoothly on that front as well.

Have a great weekend and don't forget to visit Jen for more Quick Takes!

20 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had an amazing week at the conference/retreat. Opportunities like that are such blessings! As are the beauties and comforts of the sacraments. Wow. :)

    Ha, and I totally leaned into your screen shot to see if that number really was 63. Talk about a final score!

    I'm praying for you now and will be praying for you especially on Jan 17. Let this be the last piece of Rebecca's making-a-baby puzzle, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're surgery is going to be with a doctor you know and trust. As far as the anxiety, I would recommend that you ask your priest for the anointing of the sick. I have received it every time I was going to have surgery, and it gave me such a sense of peace. Anyone who is going to have surgery can receive it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,
    Was thinking of you during the WVU game. It truly was a great day for all Mountaineers! Keeping you in my prayers.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you that these next steps, although very scary, our opening up for you (And The Man). Lots of prayers and hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, ok NOW i get why it was such a big deal to watch the game! i must have looked like a weirdo for being so confused! didn't realize you didn't have cable access, duh.
    anyway, the surgery is and isn't a big deal so embrace all these emotions. we will be praying for a new little WVU to join us as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had an amazing week!

    I will pray that all goes smoothly with your surgery. It is so healing and you will have so many questions answered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I second the advice to ask for anointing. Either you'll get it and it will be wonderful, or (like me) you won't get it because the priest won't think the surgery is enough to justify it. In that case, it will be a reminder to not stress because the surgery isn't that big of a deal! (Not to downplay your stress, just to come up with ways of convincing yourself it isn't that bad since you've already decided it is what you want to do).

    And having it on a Tuesday is great. That way you'll have enough time to recover before going back to work the next week.

    In any case, since this is what you want to do, I am thrilled that things are going so quickly! One of the huge downsides of NaPro (to me) is how slooooow things seem to go. There is no sense in taking longer to stress about something when it can be done right away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for a surgery date!!

    I'll make my arrangements now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. #1 - I am so jealous!
    #2 - There was an experience this morning for me that gave me the same reminder. He cares about every little detail!
    #3 - I am so not a sports person but I thought of you when I heard WVU was playing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow for your surgery date! Prayers my friend.

    I loved that we were both tweeting up a storm at the same time but for different reasons. :) that was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the retreat went well.
    Yay for a surgery date, and many prayers for peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow that was fast! Yay for a date though. You are going to be in great hands and the recovery nurses are so very sweet. I had a kind, gentle old nun pray with me before I went off and it calmed me very much so. Hoping your nursery planning isn't far off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I promise it will be okay!! Surgery is SO healing and those laparascopies really aren't too bad at all. I wouldn't call them fun, but they definitely aren't all that bad, and in a week or two you'll be feeling back to normal!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go Mountaineers! And, 11 days is really close, but it'll be nice to get it done rather than thinking about it and dreading it for longer. Will definitely be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That WVU game was crazy! Go Mountaineers! Glad you had a good week with Dr. Smith and with football! :)

    Praying all goes well with the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I'm a new follower - I found you commenting on NFPandMe's site (stalker? I'm really not I promise! Just love meeting other Catholics!).

    Number 1 sounds incredible! I've heard Janet Smith speak (on contraception) and I've read Love and Responsibility. Amazing and Life-changing!

    Feel free to come by my blog!

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with the anointing. I felt so at peace when I rec'd it for all the surgeries I've had. Praying for peace for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Surgery in 11days? Exciting and scary at the same time. Praying for you! And yes, receive the Anointing of the Sick if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rebecca, you have my prayers. So much has happened in the time I've been out of the blogosphere!! I'm just riding the coattails of this post, but I'm hopeful and excited that you'll be in the best of care in 8 days now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Go WVU! (I wish I could say the same about my Tigers.... :( )

    Praying for you during this milestone!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.