8.22.2011

A Goddaughter

A few weeks ago, I stood in church beside a friend and her family - her 2 beautiful daughters sitting beside her while the 3rd daughter twisted and turned inside her womb.  I was struck at the contrasts between us - specifically the fullness of her womb vs. the emptiness of mine.

------------

I have always wanted to be a Godmother.  Long before the desires of motherhood were placed in my heart, the desire to be a Godmother was there.  To be seen as someone who could be trusted to guide a child in his/her faith would be an honor that there were almost no words to describe.  There have been many unspoken, almost unthought, prayers for this; as if, by being asked to be a Godmother, God would be telling me that He does have faith in me.

------------

Today, I stood beside that same friend.  This time, she held her 3rd daughter, now just 2 weeks old.  And this time, at the end of Mass, this friend asked The Man and me if we would like to be Godparents to her baby girl, M.  The tears immediately came.  And of course, there had to be an explanation (there were too many to be considered 'normal').  As we graciously, thankfully, and humbly said 'yes!', we were offerred prayers and love.

Today, there is faith.  There is hope.  There is a Goddaughter to love.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your God daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Rebecca!
    It is such an honor and a perfect responsibility and you and the Man will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's SO EXCITING! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post!! Now, let me wipe the tears from my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw wow, congrats!!! I am sure you'll be an amazing godmother!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a godmother is so wonderful. Congratulations! They are lucky to have you two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful!! I am so happy for you, and for this precious girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great blessing, both for you and for baby M!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I love my godchildren!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.