5.02.2011

The World is Different, Again

"Osama Bin Laden, as is known, claimed responsibility for grave acts that spread division and hate among the peoples, manipulating religion to that end. A Christian never takes pleasure from the fact of a man's death, but sees it as an opportunity to reflect on each person's responsibility, before God and humanity, and to hope and commit oneself to seeing that no event become another occasion to disseminate hate but rather to foster peace."
 ~Vatican Response to the Killing of Osama Bin Laden


I went to sleep last night before the world changed.  And when I woke up this morning, I blinked my eyes and did a double take as I read my Twitter Newsfeed.  And then I just let it sink in.  I wondered what the rest of the story was.  I told The Man the news and noted that there wasn't happiness in my voice.  I didn't have the words to say how I felt, so I didn't say anything else.


Almost 10 years ago, the world changed.  Forever.  And today the world is changed again.  Forever.


But to celebrate the killing of another human being is just something I cannot do.


What I can do is thank the Navy Seals and service men and women who've been fighting the war on terror.  They leave their families and put their lives in danger, something I have the freedom to choose not to do.  I can put my American Flag outside as a symbol that I am proud to be an American.


And I can be proud to be Catholic.  On a day when it is 'cool' to celebrate death, the Church gave a beautiful example of just what being Christian means.


This world is different.  Again.  God is not.


So, I join with Maggie (and many others of you) and I pray for Bin Laden's soul. 


6 comments:

  1. Amen. It's refreshing to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read the Vatican's response to what happened. Thanks for posting it. When CH told me on Sunday night, like you, I wasn't sure how to feel. Sure, the world felt like it was a little nicer place on Monday, but I wonder about the retaliation. And I pray that God will keep our service men and women safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Thanks for the Vatican response. I have been troubled by the "celebrating" too.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.