5.30.2011

Memorial Day 2011

*A repost from last year, because a year later, I still find these words to be what I want to say.*

Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army (with permission as stated here).

I've always known that flags are placed at the more than 260,000 graves in Arlington National Cemetery every year to honor those who are buried there.  What I didn't know is that from the time the flags are placed, members of the 3rd Infantry patrol the grounds 24 hours a day to ensure each flag remains standing until they are removed.

Today, I pray for the souls of the departed soldiers.  I thank them for their sacrifice (and those words seem so small).  And I pray for those who wear a soldier's uniform on this Memorial Day; that one day, on Memorial Day, we only have departed souls to pray for, that there are no longer men and women in harm's way.

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.


2 comments:

  1. That was definitely worth a repeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know the flags were patrolled either. Very nice sentiments, indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.