5.24.2011

The Hidden Gifts of Helping


When the opportunity to review this book presented itself, I thought it once again sounded like a book The Man would like.  I was right, so I give you a review by The Man of The Hidden Gifts of Helping:  How the Power of Giving, Compassion, and Hope Can Get Us Through Hard Times by Stephen Post.

The Hidden Gifts of Helping by Stephen G. Post is a much needed book in today's egocentric world. Stephen relives many of his own difficult experiences in hopes of helping others in similar situations. Each of the six chapters, includes many scientific facts and findings to support many of his statements. Although sometimes I couldn't help feeling as if there could have been a better layout for his many ideas.  While the information is extremely important, I believe less specific examples are easier and quicker ways to express these ideas that can quickly become irrelevant in the unique contexts of peoples lives.  It seemed sometimes as if he was trying to convince me that helping others is a good thing for myself.  Isn't this contradictory to the idea of helping others without thought of reciprocation? Yet I suppose there are many people in this world that may need the comfort of numbers and studies to prove what is the right thing to do.  As I said in the beginning, a much needed book.  I just hope there aren't too many that do. It did help open my eyes to a whole new branch of research that I never knew was so extensively studied.  The academic in me does enjoy the concreteness of the numbers and percentages, yet my spirit wants to bypass them. 
Thank-you again to the B&B Media Group for the free book and to The Man for reviewing it!


5 comments:

  1. Good job! It's amazing how there is money to spend on research like this, yet we can seem to feed, clothe, or house so many American children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. It seems to me that a book like that would appeal to a person who already was helpful. Giving that reader some facts is probably just what they might be looking for in such a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I didn't have time to come read this the other day so I'm glad you linked to it.

    I know it seems counter-intuitive to think that a helpful person might do so to receive "hidden gifts" but obviously, it's not money or anything. Helping others is good for a person inside and out. But I do think that most people who help others already know that...so it's good there's a book to find some other reasons to help people.

    Good job to The Man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Yet I suppose there are many people in this world that may need the comfort of numbers and studies to prove what is the right thing to do." That seems to be a very true statement! Good job! If I come across this book, I will definitely read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an excellent review in that it tells me precisely why this book might be worth it for some people, and why I don't want to add it to my to-read stack!

    "While the information is extremely important, I believe less specific examples are easier and quicker ways to express these ideas that can quickly become irrelevant in the unique contexts of peoples lives." This is so true in general, but particularly applicable to topics like this that are so... I don't know, extra-rational? I agree that the logic of helping others in order to help oneself seems completely contradictory to the reasons that people give selflessly.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.