4.15.2011

Quick Takes

1.  Tomorrow is my first 5K of the season.  The forecast?  Rain, wind, thunderstorms, and probably a tornado watch.  I'll still be running - and offering to hold Sara down if she starts to blow away.

2.  Thank-you for all the kind words on my reflection on my morning at the 40 Days for Life vigil.  Nikki, the coordinator for the Pittsburgh 40 Days for Life blessed and humbled me by asking if she could repost my words and pictures on their blog.  Please visit and read about the amazing stories of changed hearts that have happened.

3.  The Man is out of town this weekend visiting his BFFs (do guys call them that?).  I am planning a surprise that will make me earn points towards 'best wife ever'.  I can't tell you what it is because The Man reads this - I can tell you it's NOT doing the laundry.  I will be doing that, but I already told him that I'm doing it, so it won't be a surprise.

4.  I can't believe Holy Week is upon us.  I've learned that I 'do lent' better if I give something up that I'm going to get back on Easter Sunday.  I've done well with not spending extra money on unneeded items, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm missing the anticipation of that first 'sweet' on Easter morning.

5.  Thanks for all the prayers for my pup.  Kali is doing really well.  Her stitches were removed this morning and the results were as good as we could have expected.  The cancer was contained to the tumor and the only treatment we are to do is Pepcid AC - not because Kali has an upset stomach, but because it has anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent a recurrence of any tumors.  We do have one more test to wait on the results of, but everything we've seen so far says her lymph node needle aspirate should come back negative.

6.  Our town has a new Catholic Radio Station and I am loving it.  Especially the Catholic Answers show that is on every night when I drive home (or to wherever I'm headed).  When I'm actually going straight home from work (rarely), I find myself sitting in the driveway listening to it - and when I'm headed somewhere else, I wait in the car until the last minute.  I'm not ever in the car for a really long time, so I don't know if it's just EWTN radio or if it's a combination of shows or what.  Really, I don't care, I like it either way.

7.  And now a question for you - those of you who are NOT Catholic, what is the #1 question you have about the Faith.  For those of you who ARE Catholic, if there was one misconception about the Catholic Faith that you could clear up for either non-Catholics or Catholics who don't-really-get-it (as I was), what would it be and how would you clarify it?

Be sure and visit Jen for more Quick Takes and have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Regarding #7 - the myth that NFP and contraception are the exact same thing. I've been debating this issue on the Catholic Answers Forums recently and it drives me NUTS how Catholics and non-Catholics alike have this misconception.

    I love Catholic Answers Live, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Catholic Answers!! It's always on during my drive home (when I get to go straight home). I, too, have stayed in the car in the driveway listening and just have to force myself away... :)

    As for #7 - I think some of the devotions Catholics have are misinterpreted quite a bit. Some people feel called to have a serious devotion to Mary and the Rosary and sometimes people think that means Catholics "worship" Mary instead of just praying for her intercession. While we're at it...the whole Communion of Saints thing is a good one that most non Catholics misunderstand, too. :)

    Can't wait to hear about the surprise!!!! Best wife ever? Wow.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking as a Catholic, I think I'd most like *some* non-Catholic Christians to be more open to learning about Catholicism and be more willing to put away prejudice. Because I feel like there are many misunderstandings across the board. My mom works at a Christian-owned company and is constantly subjected to ignorant judgments and remarks about her faith. Which is ride because they know she is Catholic but that's just them...anyway... But be aware that I am not painting all non-Catholic Christians with this brush. I have had the same best friend since I was 3 years old and she was raised Baptist. We have always been able to discuss our faith with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My biggest question right now, is would I be able to participate in church life and not feel judged and dragged down by people who's faith is stronger than mine. I love so much about the teachings of the Catholic Church, but I still struggle to know if I would really feel like I fit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's Holy Week already, either. This may sound weird, but I'm going to miss Lent, especially Lenten Meals & the Stations on Fridays.
    When I read #7, I immediately thought of the devotion to Mary. It's hard to explain to a non-Catholic that we don't "pray to Mary" when we have prayers that we say to her. I've heard the explanation before that it's like asking someone to pray for them. Mary is Jesus' mother; she has his ear at all times. If you want something, wouldn't go to the #1 person who has "pull"?
    I'm jealous that there's actually a Catholic radio station there!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.