4.25.2011

Catching Up

Thank-you all for praying for my godfather.  He is still with us, but it's still not looking so great.  More information has filtered down and it is clear God was watching my Uncle Fred.  He collapsed in his front yard while talking with my aunt and a neighbor.  The neighbor called 911, while my aunt performed CPR.  He went into cardiac arrest 3 times and the heart catheterization showed his 3 main arteries to be 90% - 100% blocked (not the initial 40% that I had heard - like I said, news filters down to me).  He was scheduled for triple bypass surgery on Saturday, but an infection was found (most likely from aspirating during CPR) so it was postponed.  But then, yesterday, while celebrating Easter we learned that he had also suffered a stroke.  No one seems to be exactly sure when the stroke happened, but we do know that he is on blood thinners for right now, which means no bypass surgery for at least a month.  All of this to say, thank-you for the prayers, and if you wouldn't mind, please keep praying.
--------------
I hope you all had a blessed Triduum and a Happy Easter.  I love the Easter Vigil, and I always think it is my favorite Mass of the year, but then I think of the Triduum as a whole.  From Holy Thursday through the Vigil, it truly is one long story being played out.  As the weight of Lent settles in on Thursday night when Jesus becomes the servant and leaves us with the new covenant, and then on Good Friday when all seems lost.  Slowly, hope returns as we listen to stories of our salvation during the beginning of the vigil.  And then, you can feel the weight of Lent lift as the lights turn on and the Alleluias are finally sung.  It is surely the holiest time of the year, and without a doubt my favorite days.
-------------
Our priest's homily was about an Alaskan parish that put on a play for other local churches of the Easter Story and had all of the children change roles each time they put on the play.  It was discovered that the little boy who played the stone, wasn't willing to change roles.  When he was asked why, the boy answered 'I get to roll the stone away.  I want to be the one who sets Jesus free.'  Father Mark then reminded us that we are called to set Jesus free.  That if we stop at the cross, we've missed the best part.  Yes, it is important to take up our cross.  But we must keep going and get to Sunday.  Jesus's story didn't end on the cross, and ours isn't supposed to either.  At a time when it was hard to celebrate, as my heart was (and is) heavy with worry for my uncle, this was a beautiful reminder to set Jesus free.  To ask for Jesus to be near instead of asking why.
--------------
We are teaching our first NFP class starting this week!  It is via Skype with just one couple, but both The Man and I are very excited.  The couple is eager to learn and will be getting married in June.  I want this ministry of ours to be HUGE, but I'm working hard to be sure to appreciate the small steps and to trust in God's timing.  So far, so good.
-------------
I've been trying to get all caught up on your blogs (I'm behind from about last Wednesday) and I'm loving all of your reflections the Triduum and the prayer buddy reveals.  Well, sort of on the prayer buddy reveals, I think my blog list will be getting a lot longer and I already get so so far behind!  Please forgive me if I don't comment on all of your recent posts or if there are random, late-to-the-party comments.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on being behind in my reading! Prayers definitely for your godfather and your new and exciting NFP ministry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm remembering your godfather in daily prayers, as well as during Mass. I hope the NFP class goes well!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.