2.24.2011

A First

I'm out of town at a conference this week (well, since yesterday morning).  I love conferences.  I love learning new things, being reminded of old things, sleeping in a hotel (let's face it, anytime I get to sleep in a bed that was made before I got in it I'm pretty happy), eating food prepared by someone else, and connecting with other professionals.

I always attend every session of a conference from start to finish.  I don't leave sessions early and I make many trips through the exhibit hall.  I also take a book or two of notes.  I like to get my money's worth, so to speak.

Not this week though :(.  Yesterday after lunch I took a quick stroll through the exhibit hall, and I haven't returned.  This morning, I skipped the keynote session and I'm not sure I'll make to tomorrow's keynote session either.  It's the first time I've ever skipped a conference session I was planning to attend.

What has caused such out of the ordinary behavior?

A lovely case of the coughing-sneezing-running nose-fever-sickness that is kicking my butt like I've not experienced in a long time.  It would be only so easy if some Day.quil and some Ny.quil could fix me up.  But a dose of Ny.quil would equal about 18 - 20 hours of sleep, and a dose of day.quil would have me so high I'd be jittery and not remember a word I heard.

I didn't skip the keynote session this morning lightly, I just could. not. get. out. of. bed.  And when considering my day, I knew that of the three sessions I planned to go to, it would have the least impact on my day to day work as typically keynotes are motivational, get-you-going types of presentations (not meat and potatoes type).

I do feel like I've learned some great information, I'm just hoping that next week when I look over my notes (that are much less than usual) they make sense and jog my memory in the ways I thought they would when I took them.

For tonight, I'll be chillin' in my hotel room wearing my fuzzy WVU slippers and hoping I make it to the end of the WVU-Pitt basketball game!  Let's goooooo Mountaineers!

5 comments:

  1. That stinks to be sick at a conference. I'm a secret hotel lover...I stayed at a hotel when I went up to see OS and had a great time...by myself. It was nice to lay in bed and watch the football game. Very comfy! (yes, I realize how weird that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a fan of hotels. I am not a fan of sickness, however. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your Hotel stay~ And I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I am sorry. :( We've had the flu here, too, and it is so miserable. Praying right now for you to feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A week and some days later, I certainly hope you're back to feeling better! And you know what? I'm sure you took away something good. While it'd be great to be a perfect conference-goer each and every time, I think it's probably excused. :) I think your profession sounds so fun and rewarding...I'm considering abandoning the mom-ship and doing what I WANT! Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.