1.03.2011

Bible in 90 Days

Today marks Day 1 of 90 to read through the entire {Catholic} Bible.  I've completed my reading for tonight and I've already switched bibles.

No, not from the Catholic Bible to a Protestant one, but rather from one translation to another.

I downloaded and started with a Douay-Rheims version.  All you need to know about this one is that when speaking of how old Abram was when he first became a father, it was written this way:

four score and six years

Exactly.

And with that, I went looking for a translation that felt that '86' was sufficient.

If you know me IRL, you know I like things as simple as possible.  And while I have nothing against Misters Douay and Rheims, I am quite sure their translation is not for me.

I wish I could say I trusted myself to try again, but I did not.  (I also did not realize that I could download samples to my Kindle before purchasing!)  I called Katie and she helped me out.  I decided on The Ignatius Bible, that not only includes the Apocropha but also the Deuterocanonical Books (if you have a better link for this one, please share)!  And guess what?  It also says that Abram was eight-six years old when Ish'mael was born.

What else stood out to me in tonight's reading?

My goodness a lot happens in Genesis!  Creation, Cain and Abel, The Flood, Sarai an Abram - and we're not finished yet!  I've read Genesis before (in the past I've made it to Numbers or Leviticus before giving up) an this is one thing that never ceases to amaze me.  So many of the 'well-known' stories happen so quickly, it makes me wonder what other great stories I might be missing.  I guess I'm soon to find out.

To learn more about this journey that I'm on, or to read other (more eloquent, I'm sure) takes on this process, please visit Mom's Toolbox.

7 comments:

  1. I love you and I love reading your blog... but I hope you can be less self-deprecating. You are damn eloquent all on your own; I don't have to go looking for more eloquence! :) (Though I might read some for the fun of it...)

    I'm excited for your journey, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will need to do this...in the future. When I'm not up to my eyeballs in packing boxes and moving lists! :) So glad you are doing this, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you. I am very slowly making my way through the NIV and am also amazed about the stories. They are great and they don't take long to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, you're amazing! I've read the Bible before, but I think it took me something like two years.

    Second of all... The Douay-Rheims???!!! You poor thing. :-) The RSV is a good choice, though my favorite is the New Jerusalem le sigh. It isn't eligible to be read out loud in liturgical assemblies any more because it uses the literal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh rather than the modified "LORD" but it is beautiful and clear and helps me see things in a new way. And when I want to read the Bible online I usually just go for the NAB-- tried and true. http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/index.shtml

    Which I guess is all sort of random and off-topic, but I like talking Bible versions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely NOT Douay-Rheims! I have that one, and the poor thing collects dust on my shelf. I like the Ignatius, or just the plain old NAB. Is there a difference between the Apocrypha and the Deuterocanonical books? I thought it was the same thing, but I could easily be wrong on that. Good luck, and keep it up! That was clearly a chunk of reading for one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca! I am in your group and thought I would drop in and say hi! Glad you found an easier translation. I am using the ESV and NIV (whichever one is closer when it is time to read). I can't wait to get to know you better over this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to start 2011. 90 days, wow...
    Go for it. You'll never regret time in the Word.

    Thanks for your friendship. I look forward to all that God has for us in this new year.

    Be blessed.
    Love,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.