1.30.2011

Another Step

Last week, I took the next step towards working with deaf/hard of hearing children again.  I made my resignation from my current job official by letting the teachers and parents know that I would be leaving.  I don't have a last day yet because I will be staying on until a new Director is hired in my place, but the waiting is over.  Now the process begins and I am equally savoring the moments and freaking out.

I have done much to prepare for this next step, and at times I feel nothing but the excitement of the possibility that lies before me.  At other times though, I feel nothing but the enormity of this decision.  What stands out to me is that though I feel that enormity, I do not feel fear.  I feel God all over this and though I know there will be challenges, I also know they will be worth it.

This past week, I spent a day at the West Virginia School for the Deaf working with teachers who are learning to implement a listening and spoken language classroom.  It was like slipping on an old pair of shoes that had been hidden away.

The biggest challenge that lies ahead is growing my client base to ensure that we do not suffer financially.  We are blessed that The Man's job has benefits and that my contribution to our financial coffers need only be dollars and cents, and it doesn't really matter where those dollars and cents come from.  I am hoping to build my client base while still at my current job so that two things can happen.  One, that we can have some actual savings and two, that we can have enough fluid money that waiting to get paid (gotta love contracting with state agencies) will not result in late payments to our bills.

There are moments when this challenge becomes almost overwhelming and I feel the pressure of it, but the moments spent working with deaf/hard of hearing children or working on a training for other professionals who work with them relieve this pressure.  It is as if, I somehow know that this path is the right one and that all will work out.  Each morning and night, I say a prayer asking that my wants not cloud what it is God wants.  I ask that He guide me to right decisions.  And it is in the little things that I feel His guidance.  It is in the opportunities that continue to present themselves.  It is in the successes of these opportunities.  And it is in the pure joy that I feel while sitting down in front of a child who hears only with the aid of a cochlear implant and/or hearing aids.

11 comments:

  1. Good luck; and welcome back, you've been missed! I know you will go far in your endeavors! Good luck, and I'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! I love hearing how God is working in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD FOR YOU! Sounds like you're taking the smart path to make sure y'all are okay financially, but still able to fulfill God's plan for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so, so, so, so beyond happy for you! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! That is so great! You are going to make such a difference in their lives, and I'm glad you are using your gifts so effectively!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...such big changes!! i'm excited for this new turn in your journey...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Change is scary but it sounds like you have the right plan and a great attitude.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! That is too cool!!

    Interesting aside : I worked as a TTY Relay operator for the state of KS in college. It was one of the most fun jobs I ever had. I just wish it had paid more...I'd probably still be in that line of work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire you so much! Good for you for moving ahead with this. May you have many blessings to carry you through the difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome, Rebecca!!! Blessings as you continue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! It's not always easy to leave the safe and sure thing for the dream thing, so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.