11.09.2010

The Long Way Home

On Friday, I left work with my overnight bag packed and headed toward Huntington, WV.  I was on my way to a conference about working with Deaf/Hard of Hearing (DHH) children and I was so excited.  It was the first conference in almost three years that I had been to and I couldn't wait.

About 30 minutes south of Morgantown, the trip got a little bit longer.  Our car had been making this noise and The Man and I had disagreed over whether it was serious or not.  Being that our car was The Man's car, maintenance is mainly his responsibility, so I didn't force the issue and just went about driving around town.  Turns out The Man should've paid more attention and I should have been more insistent about getting it checked.  Anyway, long story short, there was something wrong and 30 minutes into my trip I found myself sitting alongside the road calling The Man to say "there's something really wrong with the car now."

An hour later I was in a tow truck heading back to Morgantown to meet The Man and to borrow my mom's car to head to Hunttington.  Again.  I headed out of town just about the time I would've been arriving had I made it the first time.  Sigh.

If I doubted for a second it was all worth it (I didn't), I was proved wrong on Saturday.  The training was great; seeing old friends was great; and I was reminded that working with children with hearing loss IS what I am called to do.  Sitting in that cool room, 3 1/2 hours from my house, shifting in my seat to get comfortable, I finally felt at home.  Despite knowing that there are expensive car repairs in my future, my soul was at peace.  Yes, there was stress about wondering just what might happen next, but it took a back seat to the feeling of ease wafting over me.

My body has been physically home for two years in a town I love close to family and friends I missed more than words can say.  Shortly after that we returned home to our Catholic Faith.  A month ago, The Man and I moved into a house that immediately has turned into a physical home.  And on Saturday, the rest of me caught up and I can finally say I am home.  Yes, there are new challenges ahead and a lot of fear over making this work financially.  But, I am taking a phrase from my Party.Lite days and I'm going to "Feel the Fear, and Do It Anyway".

I've said it before, it's not the path we planned, but I sure am glad that I took the long way home.

4 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! I'm glad it's all falling into place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're "home"! Isn't it just the neatest thing when we realize what we're doing just feels right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the trip validated your growing sense of peace regarding returning to your work with the deaf. Hope the car issue is not too complicated or expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are feeling "at home". And boo for car trouble! I am not a fan!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.