10.03.2010

Doing Laundry in My Own House

Why hello there!  I know it's not necessarily unusual for me to go a week or so in between posts, but this time it wasn't because I haven't had much to say, but rather because I haven't had time or means to say it.

Last Sunday night at this time I was feeling very overwhelmed.  We'd had the keys to our house for all of 4 hours and the packing had barely started.

Fast forward to Thursday evening after 4 days of packing/moving craziness and my mom and I were sweeping up the entry way and locking the apartment door for the last time.

And today, I sit in a living room twice the size of our last living room, next to our dining room, listening to the hum of the washer in the basement.  (It's soooooo nice to just have to lug the laundry down a set of stairs instead of across town.)

I still can't believe all of the stuff we had crammed into our tiny apartment (and at my mom's and my in-laws and my dad's).

And wow, there's nothing like an end of the month move to show you how blessed you are.  We truly couldn't have done it without the help of our families.  They brought their cars, lifted, tugged, pulled, tossed, and carried more than we could have imagined.

Today, I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I tend to like to have everything done and in order.  I feel like I've lived on the edge of chaos for the last 2 years and I'm ready to have everything in it's place again.  Yet, there are not places for everything just yet.  Sure, there is plenty of room.  But that means there needs to be furniture to fill that room.  The list is growing ever longer and my desire to have it done now is one that will not be met.  This patience-thing is a lesson I am continually being taught.

So for now, there will be rolling carts in place of matching shelves; a mattress on a floor instead of in it's frame (because of a too small stairway + a too big box spring); an empty place in a dining room; a too small couch; and clothes in neat piles in a room.  And it is going to be ok.

When we have visitors, I will resist the urge to explain everything that is not perfect.  I will not detail the 'what will bes'.  I will enjoy and be thankful for what is.

Now, for the first time in 2 years, I will go move laundry from the washer to the dryer, in my own house.  

6 comments:

  1. Have fun with the laundry! :) That is something that I look forward to as well, someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Leila's :) and I just want to say - I was so impatient with myself after moving into a house! I wanted everything painted, organized, decorated, clean, etc...and now, almost one year after we bought the house, I've realized that it will NEVER all be done. :) So I'm coping with that and allowing myself more "leeway" however I totally know how you feel!!! Just know that even a year later, most people don't have it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you to get situated in your new home!

    I need to take your advice: "When we have visitors, I will resist the urge to explain everything that is not perfect. I will not detail the 'what will bes'. I will enjoy and be thankful for what is."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! :) I, too, love your line about not making excuses for visitors. Such wonderful perspective.

    And one of these days... you just might have a Valley girl and her brood show up on your doorstep for a visit. :) And I won't care WHAT your house is like. I'll just be happy to be with you IRL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Laundry and Welcome Home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been in our for six years and still don't have a place for everything. :) I have visions of what it would look like, but that takes time, and money. Both of which we are short. Life goes on and we continue to enjoy those around us. :) I'm happy for you guys, Rebecca! Enjoy the hum of the laundry!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.