9.22.2010

Catch-up for the Soul

A few weeks ago, our new priest spoke about taking time to let our souls catch-up to our bodies.

His point was that this world is so fast-paced that our bodies are running around so quickly, that our souls can barely keep up.  He encouraged us to take moments to give our souls a break - stop with all of the technology and appointments and running and just be.  Be who God created us to be.

In the weeks since Father Mark spoke these words, I've reminded myself of them and have tried to take the moments.

Attending Adoration was a perfect way to take time to let my soul catch-up.  I felt so rejuvenated afterwards and it has stayed with me in the weeks that followed.

But another opportunity to stop and reflect presented itself.  Somewhat hidden in the form of yet another appointment, but it turned out to be such a beautiful opportunity.

The Man and I have attended 3 evenings of class to become a Marriage Preparation Sponsor Couple through our parish.  And while, at first, it seemed like the timing was horrible, it turns out, God's timing is never horrible.

These 3 nights have been a wonderful opportunity to reflect on what our marriage is all about and give our united soul a chance to catch-up.  This move will be stressful, is stressful, but these evenings have been moments to focus on God and His place in our lives; and to be reinforced by what we are doing well; and a gentle reminder about what we need to continue to work on.

These moments of peace and calm amidst what would normally be chaos, remind me that:

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

And it is well with my soul.

4 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you to begin this ministry! You will be a blessing to so many couples, and to the Church (well, you already are a blessing to the Church)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Rebecca, I think this is so wonderful. I hope someday, Craig and I can help with the ministry of preparing Catholic couples for marriage. YOu can be such a wonderful witness to them! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quote at the end of your post means a lot to me as it is the song my mom requested for her funeral. I'm glad it is well with your soul. And I will help you move.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.