9.12.2010

Adoration

On Saturday, The Man and I went to Adoration for the first time ever.

Many members of our diocese (and others?) were making a pilgrimage to the National Cathedral in Washington, DC to participate in a day of prayer for those whose lives were lost and changed forever on Sept. 11, 2001.  Our new Priest (I love him, btw!), scheduled a time of Adoration from Noon - 5pm as a way to pray for those of us who were not making the pilgrimage.  He asked that 30 minute time slots be signed up for to ensure that the Blessed Sacrament would always be watched over; so, The Man and I signed up for the 3:00 - 3:30 time slot.

As we were getting ready to leave, I was excited and nervous - Adoration is something I've wanted to experience for a while now, but I wasn't completely sure what The Man would think.  I figured he had agreed as one of those 'I'll be a good husband and go' kind of things, so I decided to give him the option to stay home if he wanted (genuinely, not with the 'you can stay home, but if you do you'll hear about it later' tone at all).  He said no, he'd like to go, but then he asked a question:

"Can we take it outside and chill with it?"

I quickly realized this meant he was also a little bit nervous and wasn't sure what to expect either.

I laughed and said 'No, I don't think that's really a good idea.  And you know that's going on my blog right?'

He then said:

"Didn't jesus even say himself that 'it's not in the buildings, or the bricks, or something like that'"

I had to concede, but pointed out that I didn't think Father Mark would appreciate it if we took the Blessed Sacrament outside and just 'chilled with it'.  And with that we were off.

I can't really describe the feelings I had during the Adoration time.  At first I was worried that 30 minutes would seem like forever and that I wouldn't know what to pray about or that my mind would wander.  And then I was upset with myself for forgetting my rosary and became really nervous about how I would possibly stay focused for 30 minutes.

I finally settled on starting with The Lord's Prayer and a few Hail Marys to get myself focused and centered.  And the prayers came from there.

It was such a peaceful, calming experience.  To have 30 minutes in the presence of Jesus to pray and praise.

And that 30 minutes went by faster than I expected.  I could have stayed much longer.  The Man and I had not discussed staying longer than the 30 minutes and I of course wasn't sure if his experience had been as good as mine, so I didn't want to force the issue.

As we walked out of the church in silence.  I said a final prayer of thanks for finally having the opportunity to experience Adoration.

And, as The Man and I drove home, he said "It was like He was telling us Thank-you at the end when the sun shone on us."

You see, our church is new and has lots of windows and if the sun is shining outside, it is shining inside somewhere too.  As the sun moves across the sky, it changes where it shines inside.  At the end of our 30 minutes, the sun was shining right on our faces.

And in that moment, I knew The Man had had a good experience too.

I am hopeful that Father Mark offers more opportunities for Adoration.

12 comments:

  1. That's great that you got a chance for Adoration! It's been too long since I've been and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I also love to read spiritual reading or journal while I'm in Adoration. Isn't it just incredible to sit and reflect in the physical presence of Christ!
    Also, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. REbecca, that is so wonderful you were able to experience Adoration. WE have it one day a week at our parish and our new priest has established "family" adoration hour from 7-8 on Thursday evenings (Thursday is our parish's day of Adoration). I am planning to take my kids...I hope they all will have a good experience, too. I love going to Adoration and I need to make sure i get there more often!!!

    Good for you! Good for your parish! And I pray you will have more opportunities, as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this post! I'm so glad you had a positive experience with your first time at Adoration! I really wish there was a parish near me that offered adoration more often... I need that Jesus time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding me that I need to get to adoration more often! It is the most calming, peaceful time, and it almost seems like time stops and I can breathe. Why don't I go more often? I hope you get there again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Yay!! I do not go to Adoration enough, especially considering there is a chapel here in town that has it 24/7.

    I'm so glad you had a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our parish in SC had adoration 24/7. There were cold, rainy days when I would go in for my turn, and it would feel like someone had taken a warm blanket and put it around my shoulders. Then there were days that I would fall asleep. My mom assured me that it was okay, that Jesus was watching over me and understood that I just needed to rest.
    The parish here also has adoration, but I haven't signed up yet. I just need to jump in and do it!
    Glad you had such a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never ever done that. My dad used to go to adoration in the middle of the night...I remember that. My excuse is that I have all these kids and I don't really have time. But he had more kids than me, and he still went. So I guess my excuse is lame-o, huh?

    I love that the sun was shining on your face. That image is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful image...the "Son" was shining on your faces. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both of your attitudes! This is one of the happiest posts that I have ever read. I am not sure about taking the Blessed Sacrament out of the church ;-), but I love the idea of "chilling with Jesus!" I hope that you get the chance to go back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my community we "have" to stay at least one hour a week before the Lord in adoration, "To adore the Blessed Sacrament is to dive into the heart of Jesus and from there take the strengths to evangelize" are some words of our Founder about the adoration.
    I'm trying to make a difference in this new "continent" that is the internet. Evangelization is the soul of the church. Keep up with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great way to remember Sept 11th! I'm glad your man was into also.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.