6.09.2010

My Faith Journey, Part 4

My Faith Journey Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

As I realized the physical symptoms I was experiencing were in fact due to birth control, I discovered NFP.  I had never heard the term before and my only experience with the Catholic Church's teaching on contraception was that it was not OK.  I didn't know why or what was considered an acceptable way to prevent pregnancy.  And then God gave me many of you (specifically Michelle, Sarah, and Elizabeth), and then, when we were ready, through Elizabeth, He gave us Alison.  We began our NFP classes eager to learn and trusting that it really would work.  At the same time, we began attending our Faith Group and found an amazing group of other young adult Catholics, who for me, would answer my questions without making me feel stupid (not in the least, in fact!).

It is said that 'ignorance on fire is better than knowledge on ice' and I feel this fits where I am at today perfectly.  I still have much to learn, but my soul is burning to learn it.  I don't know all that I want to know, but I love my Catholic Faith and the more I learn, the more I love it.  Sometimes I get frustrated, or feel less-than-intelligent because of what I don't know, but if I've learned nothing else, it's that it's God's timing, not mine and that I will learn what I need to know as I need to know it.  I have an amazing study bible, thank-you Kate!, that answers common questions and addresses misconceptions about the Catholic Church and I am enjoying every word.

The hardest thing for me right now is to not get angry and frustrated at the lost time and all that I don't know.  To not feel cheated.  But then again, maybe I should put this anger to good use of preventing this same type of lukewarm Catholicism from happening to another generation.

My Faith Journey is far from complete, but this is where I am to date.  I am excited about what more I have to learn and I am grateful for the path I've taken, for if I'd taken a different one, I may not be where I am today.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful testimony. Thank you so much for sharing. And I love that saying (I've never heard it before)..."Ignorance on fire is better than knowledge on ice" I will indeed remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there are many Catholics out there who are willing to answer questions without judging. I also think there are many Catholics out there who have questions they are afraid to ask because they feel like it's something they're "suppose to know".
    I had a friend in SC who answered so many things for me. I'm forever grateful!
    We're all continuing to learn about our Catholicism...even my parents who are in their 80's and have been devout Catholics for their entire lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes think that we're all really ignorant, at least in our own ways, so "ignorance on fire" is not just better than "knowledge on ice" it is also real while the "knowledge" may be simple self-delusion.

    I love your enthusiasm and look forward to learning more about how you change and grow with your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, those last two paragraphs! Bingo!!!! Can't wait to see how God uses you to touch souls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your faith story! I just discovered your blog through Leila's and I'm so glad I did!!! What a beautiful journey!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.