6.08.2010

My Faith Journey, Part 3

My Faith Journey, Part 1 and Part 2.

Through the course of the Bible Study with my girlfriends, I learned that Proverbs has 31 Chapters and is a great place to start with 1 chapter a day according to the date of the month (just don't start with Chapter 30, it's a tough one to live up to).  I purchased 2 bibles (neither a Catholic bible, I figured most of the books was OK, right?  YIKES!)  One was a women's devotional bible that I still refer to and one was a great study bible complete with maps and a concordance (I do wish my Catholic Study bible had one of those, I think I'll keep those pages before I donate it).  I asked the question "What is Grace?" and wasn't laughed at.  (Grace is God doing through me what I am unable to do myself.)  And I stumbled across Ecclesiastes 3:1, and I clung to it as The Man moved back to Morgantown and I stayed in Martinsburg waiting for our home to sell.  While The Man was in Morgantown, he attended Mass sporadically with my family and I attended Mass sporadically and also went to church with my girlfriends.  And I started feeling a pull back to the Catholic Church, but I didn't know why and I was nervous that when I was finally able to move to Morgantown I wouldn't 'like' the Priest at our Parish and would not want to attend (see all about me, I clearly didn't get it yet).

I finally followed The Man to Morgantown at the end of summer, 2008.  It took us more than 6 weeks to attend Mass, we had all sorts of reasons excuses, but we finally went.  And I instantly felt at home.  I loved the Priest and we began attending Mass regularly for the first time in our married life.  I still didn't know why we did what we did during Mass or any of the history of the church (in fact, I still don't, but I'm learning).  And then, I was asked to teach the children's RCIA class.  I prayed about it and reviewed the workbook and figured, I could do it (sadly, it was about the level at which I was ready to learn and as a teacher, I truly believe you learn something the best by teaching it to others).  I had so many 'oh, so that's why we do that' moments as I would prepare each week and I so enjoyed working with the children.  I was so proud when at the Easter Vigil they were baptized.  Looking back, maybe I wasn't ready to teach such a class, but I will say I prepared each week for our class so that I would be prepared for it.

Over the next few months, life got hard for me.  I've shared a little with you all about how lost I felt and it was through these months that the part of me that was a lukewarm believer really started to take over.  I began using the concordances in the bibles I had and found strength in God's words.  I also searched out and found this amazing blogging community and learned so much from so many of you who are reading these words now.  I started to learn just what it means to be Catholic, and I fell in love with this Faith that I've been a part of but barely understood my whole life.

This past fall, I was presented the opportunity to teach the 9th grade Religious Education class and I thought to myself, can I do this?  Am I ready?  Do I know enough?  After prayer, and reassurance that the classes were based on the Lectionary and came with a workbook, I figured it was worth a try (and I had a coteacher with lots of experience).  I remembered what my CCD classes were and were not and it was my goal to create a different atmosphere for these 9th grade young adults who would be making their Confirmation next year.  What I learned was that, if the parents aren't putting an emphasis on Religious Education, the children don't either.  And I was saddened to realize that a new generation is getting the same type of Lukewarm Catholicism that I got.  But I was given hope by the student in our class who knew more than I did; who could have taught the class herself; but who enjoyed having discussions with me.

And then I decided I'd had it with the way Birth Control was making me feel and The Man and I were invited to attend a Catholic Faith Sharing group of Graduate Students and Young Professionals. These two seemingly small things, in hindsight, were the catalyst to where I am now.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. That is so great that you were open to teaching the children's RCIA, even though you didn't feel ready. I suspect that your preparation and passion served them better than most people with more thorough training.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.