6.18.2010

Friday Fragments




1.  Monday's post and your comments gave me a lot to think about.  I feel like sometimes I take 2 steps backwards in my process of dealing with my parents' divorce.  I'm sure some of you are thinking "geesh, it's been 22 years, get over it."  And there is a piece of me that thinks that too.  What makes that hard for me is that I don't think I ever dealt with it then.  Not once do I remember anyone ever asking about how I was doing or talking to me about it.  I was the 'tough' one and the 'together' one, so clearly, I was fine.  I am just grateful for The Man.  He doesn't understand, can't really (his parents are still married), yet he supports me and challenges me in a way that heals me.

2.   Nicole, Mike, and Sara are coming tomorrow!  We are daring to have overnight company in our tiny one-bedroom apartment, and I am actually looking forward to it.  I can't imagine better friends to share a cramped space with.  On Saturday we are off to the Pittsburgh Zoo.  I love the zoo, especially the elephants.

3.  The Man and I are trying to make a decision about our apartment and how much longer we will call it home.  I'm not gonna lie, it's tiny 'round here, but the thought of moving makes my heart beat too fast and my stomach feel like it's gonna jump out of my body.  The last time we moved, The Man moved 6 months before I did and I got to pack an entire 3 bedroom house up by myself.  Then, when we moved into our apartment, The Man was out of town for a friend's wedding (I was supposed to go but couldn't handle leaving all of the boxes) so I got to unpack it all too.  So, if we move, I will be out of town that weekend.

4.  I just realized I never told y'all what we did for our anniversary.  We had planned a low-key evening at home, but while The Man was out working a Health Fair in the morning, I decided to search for a new place to go out to eat.  A restaurant The Man had been wanting to try popped up and I clicked over to see if they had a sample menu online.  Much to my surprise, I discovered that they were having dinner-and-a-movie night.  They set up the banquet room as a dinner theater and show a movie while you eat a 3-course dinner.  The movie was Dinner Rush and the food was delicious (I have pictures and will post them sometime this year).  We both loved it and are looking forward to going the next time they do it!

5.  I was really hoping with all of the conference shuffling going on in the NCAA that maybe WVU's new athletic director would decide to join the SEC as his first official act of business.  That obviously didn't happen and when reading an ESPN article earlier I've decided I'm okay with that for now.  The Big East remained intact, and ultimately that is a good thing.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few years.

6.  There are 78 days (or 77 days and some number of hours by the time you read this - check the counter on my upper right side bar for exact time) left until football season starts for WVU.  Which means there are even less days until practice starts and we get actual football-related news again!  I know most of you care less about football, and I'd promise to keep it to a minimum, but we all know I'd be lying!

7.  I might be crazy, but I'm feeling up for another Can of Worms post.  Any specific topic you'd be interested in chatting about?

For more Quick Takes, please go visit Jen and have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Moving is a PIA but it feels good! WVU Football is sooo close!! Ohh I have been wanting to go there for dinner, how was it? Can we please do dinner soon?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey did you see this,

    Last Friday Wine Tasting-

    Join us on Friday, June 25th

    Only $25 for 5 to 6 wines and appetizers.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. You know what? I actually got some counseling from the sisters that ran my Catholic school and I am still dealing with aftermath of my parents divorce almost 30 years later and going to counseling for it. ((((HUGS))))

    3. Moving is a pain. We haven't done it in 10 years now. Although, we really need to though...our house has less than 1000 sq. feet and our family of 6 is kind of big for the house.

    4. Cool Anniversary!

    5. I am actually (surprisingly) happy that the Big 12 lost two teams. I like the idea of each school having to play home and away vs. each team in the league in basketball and I am happy that each team has to play all the other teams in the conference for football. No more whining about "MU didn't have to play Texas this year" or "KU only has 11-1 record because they didn't have to play Texas or A&M this year"....nope, everyone has to play everyone. That's good, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what it is like to have divorced parents (my mom and dad were never married) but I can't imagine ever "getting over" a divorce. I am sure you are not alone.

    Sounds like a fun anniversary! I look forward to the pictures!

    My hubby and I are making a final decision TODAY in regards to moving to a new house. Look for my 7 Quick Takes later today for the FINAL ANSWER!.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last time we moved we said it's our last. I had to pack everything in boxes when we moved to Tn., plus have a yard sale, plus look after 3 boys ranging in age from 9 to 15. Husband was already in Tn., but it was totally worth it to be home.
    Dinner & a movie night at the restaurant sounds awesome! Wish somewhere around here did that!
    2 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days 'til it's "Big Orange Time"! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited for football too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divorce or a death in the family can be difficult to get over. I’m still dealing with deaths in the family and it’s been years. Time doesn’t seem to be a factor in these things. Counseling has helped. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help.

    Happy belated Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated anniversary!

    I've moved way too many times! One thing I do now, is buy cheap stuff. That way, I can just get rid of it, instead of hauling it around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its so important to let yourself be angry and grieve. I know the only person I've ever felt safe to do that with is my husband. Don't tell yourself that you need to "get over it", it is hard when you've always had to be "the strong one".

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.