5.02.2010

NFP Update

We had our third and final NFP class on Saturday with Allison and her husband, Mike.  I can not thank them enough for being willing to get creative and teach us via Skype; and answer all of my crazy questions; and laugh with us; and reassure us.  When The Man and I head to Texas in October for my brother's wedding, we will most certainly be making a side trip to meet Allison and Mike IRL.

What an amazing journey we have begun began started.  I would like to think I would have been open to NFP 6 1/2 years ago when we took our marriage prep classes, but I will never know because it wasn't even discussed.  All I knew about the Catholic teachings on birth control was that it was wrong.  I had no idea there was a reliable alternative in NFP.  I had never heard the term 'Natural Family Planning' until I started blogging.  Admittedly, I didn't seek it out years ago, but I still can't help but feel a bit cheated because no one ever brought it up to us.

I feel so much better (physically/mentally) since tossing the BCPs; and knowing what is going on with my body makes the times of hormone changes much more bearable.  As an example, I find I get extremely tired when I'm ovulating (I thought I was crazy, but googled it and sure enough, I'm not the only one).  Knowing that ovulation is nearing, I can eat better, be sure to get enough sleep at night and not get quite so tired during the day.

As we finished our last class, we briefly discussed with Allison and Mike about how The Man and I could become NFP instructors.  I am feeling like God is putting this on my heart.  That someday (sooner rather than later, perhaps), a woman can google NFP and West Virginia and actually find useful links to resources and guidance.  Will you please pray for discernment and clarity as we begin to see what path God is leading us down.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm glad you found answers and had great guidance along the way. Hopefully you will be able to share your journey with others. I think you and The Man would make great teachers.

    P.S. I'm coming to you live from my iPad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! I think you'd be great teachers... I will pray that you discern if that is the right path for both you and your husband!

    I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. I always heard birth control was wrong, but I thought it was frowned upon... not really a sin or anything. I was SHOCKED when I learned why it was wrong. Totally changed my outlook on the marital act!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca...my sister, my friend...I am so very happy for you and The Man. :) And I will surely be praying for you...that God shows you how He wants to use you and if becoming an NFP instructor is the way that you will find it. I just smile so much as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!!! I am shocked that it was not discussed with you at marriage prep...that was one of the major things that was discussed at ours.

    I think it is wonderful that you are considering instructing others in it. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! We were turned onto NFP when we lived in Ga. I had a gyno tell me that he was impressed that I was so aware of what we going on with my body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! What a wonderful desire to teach NFP as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great!

    And I so know what you mean about ovulation. It is no longer a very painful time for me (just a few mild cramps) but I still find myself more tired and wondering about the "amazing creative energy" that women supposedly feel during that time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! I really sat around all sad after we got off the phone. Mike kind of laughed at me for being sad considering we've never even technically "met". Anyways, I do hope we have an opportunity to in October!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your example! I agree there's just not much to be found, and I think it would be wonderful for you to carry the torch and become facilitators!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you! Remember how when this all started you were struggling? Now you're talking about becoming facilitators. That's awesome. :) You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea what NFP even stood for until I saw this. See? You're teaching already! I'm wishing the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so wonderful! The Holy Spirit is on the move... :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.