5.11.2010

The Mother-in-Law Jackpot

I know Mother's Day was 2 days ago.  I just wasn't sure what to write about this year.  I've touched on my parents' divorce a couple times, but I usually don't really go there.  It's hard.  It sucks.  (still)  And I'd much rather wear my rose-colored glasses.  And on holidays it's sometimes hard to find them.

And then, it dawned on me.  I don't even need my rose-colored glasses for this one - it's genuinely good.

I hit the mother-in-law jackpot.  Or rather, God knew exactly what he was doing when he gave me my MIL.  Just as I am clear in my understanding that The Man is a gift given to me, I am clear in my understanding that my MIL is also a gift.

Given the following information, one might think that it was quite the opposite:
  • The Man is 1 boy of 5 children.  That means I am the only daughter-in-law.
  • Before we were even married, my MIL was asking about grandchildren.
In the years I have known my MIL, never once, not even for a second has she made me feel like I was not good enough for her son.  In fact, just the opposite, she has blessed me with love and acceptance.  And those requests for grandchildren, never are they pushy, and never do they make me feel like it is something we have to do.

Instead, my MIL has taught me lessons I never thought I'd learn.

How to love more than one child equally without creating a sense of competition among them.
How to love a daughter, and yes, a daughter-in-law, as much as a son.
How to be comfortable in my own skin, for who I am.
How to put family and love above things.
How happiness is not determined by how much money you have in the bank, or the things you own.

This Mother's Day I celebrated with my mom, my Nan, and my step-mom.  I am grateful for each of these women and know they are blessings in my life as well.

But I also celebrated with my MIL and I am so grateful for the day we spent together; but more importantly for the lessons she has taught me over the past 12 years - and the lessons she will continue to teach me.

3 comments:

  1. Awww...you are blessed indeed! Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this. It is a blessing to have so many people in our lives who bless us through their example! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.