5.31.2010

260,000 Flags

Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army (with permission as stated here).

I've always known that flags are placed at the more than 260,000 graves in Arlington National Cemetery every year to honor those who are buried there.  What I didn't know is that from the time the flags are placed, members of the 3rd Infantry patrol the grounds 24 hours a day to ensure each flag remains standing until they are removed.

Today, I pray for the souls of the departed soldiers.  I thank them for their sacrifice (and those words seem so small).  And I pray for those who wear a soldier's uniform on this Memorial Day; that one day, on Memorial Day, we only have departed souls to pray for, that there are no longer men and women in harm's way.

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.

May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know that either. Prayers are going out here for the fallen soldiers (past & present) as well as all military families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have sacrificed so much! Thanks for sharing about the patrol... that is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. To the point and heartfelt.

    I truly enjoyed the Memorial Day service I attended today and remember each time why we go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. And I did not know that about the flags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also didn't know about the flags. Sweet post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.