4.09.2010

Friday Fragments

1.  While the Mountaineer Basketball team didn't make it to the National Championship game, I am still extremely proud to be a Mountaineer.  This team really embraced what they meant to this state and truly were a special group.  And Coach Huggins proved to the world (without trying to prove anything) that he's more than just his past and reputation.  One day I will explain why it took me so long to enjoy Mountaineer Basketball.

2.  Tragedy has once again struck far underground here in West Virginia.  As I write this, there is still a glimmer of hope that 4 men may still be alive.  Despite toxic, flammable methane; fires; combustable coal dust; and a 5 mile distance from the surface there is still hope here.  Hope that by a miracle, there are 4 men waiting in one of the specially designed chambers.  That hope is quickly fading.  Please pray.

3.  The basketball game and mining tragedy have once again shed light on our state.  Some say it seems like we never catch a break and as soon as WV is portrayed in a positive light, we get knocked back down.  But I say, that despite the horrible tragedy, WV has stood tall.  We've shown what it means to be West Virginians.  Across the state porch lights have remained on all night to show support for the men who are still missing.  If you would, please let your porch light burn this weekend.  (For much more eloquent words, read the New York Times Op-Ed Piece, Mourning in the Mountains.)

4.  So, maybe this NFP-thing isn't so bad after all.  (And that's all I have to say about that.)

5.  Since I wrote about my Lenten Plans, I figure I should write about how they turned out.  I did decide to give up sweets, and I must say I did pretty well.  I judge this by the fact that I am still shaking from all of the sugar I've had since Easter Sunday.  And praying a Daily Rosary?  Not so good.  I think it was a bit more than I was ready for and I ended up giving up on it all together.  I think I need to start small.  Do any of you have a suggestion for a good way to start praying the Rosary regularly?  I'm not thinking every day, but I'm not sure how often is good to start with.

6.  Sara and I are up to Week 5, Day 2 (tomorrow) of our Couch to 5k (C25K) program.  I have to say I am very impressed with this program.  Each week is set up with 3 days and it gradually increases your run time.  Each week on day 3 I think, there's no way I can run longer than this, I need to repeat this day again.  Then on day 1 of the next week, I think wow, I can (and did) run longer.  The transition from week 4 to week 5 was the easiest (though not easy) transition yet.  I am proud of myself for sticking with this.  I'm enjoying running and the time with Sara.  The only thing I need to still do is add swimming into my 'off' days to give my joints a chance to recover.

7.  Last, but not least, Spring Football started this week!!!!!!  Our quarterback situation is not clear.  Our offensive line needs to step it up from last year.  Our defense is full of veterans and should be good.  Coach Stewart says a good team has passion and determination, but a great team needs leadership.  I, for one, am hoping that our seniors step up and become leaders.

For more Fragments or Quick Takes, please visit Jen.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for those miners. It is truly heartbreaking.

    As far as the rosary goes, maybe start once a week? Does your parish offer a rosary before Mass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know there's a rosary online? http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/onlinerosary.html
    There's also a site for chaplets. Maybe this would help, although I'm not real sure how the chaplets work.
    http://rosary.org/

    The qb position isn't clear for the Big Orange, either. We had a 5th year senior who was the backup qb for the past 2 years; he just decided to leave. I'm surprised he didn't leave before now; I think maybe he thought there was just an inkling of hope he would get to start on a regular basis.

    Leaving the porch light on for the miners. Also praying for a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! NFP not isn't so bad! I don't even know what that means but I laughed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know...as I read your NFP comment, the commercial comes on the TV that states that 1 in 4 women misread a pregnancy test. I'm thinking...."I GET how the test can be inaccurate, but how in the world can the woman misread them? They're either CLEARLY positive or hazy or NOT AT ALL pregnant." Therefore....you have three choices. If women confuse the hazy reads with either a positive or negative, then that's them being too optimistic or pessimistic, depending on what they wanted. At least that's my take. Maybe that's just grumpy of me. :)

    I hope you're having a great April. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.