11.16.2009

Contrasts

I've talked about contrasts in my life before.

On Friday morning, we got a call we had been somewhat expecting, The Man's Grandma had passed away.

On Sunday, we spent the day celebrating my Nan's 81st birthday.

I felt so guilty standing in the card store picking out a card for my Nan on Saturday night, knowing that my husband had lost his.

I felt so blessed to be able to be standing in a store picking out a card for my 81-year old Nan.

I felt so blessed to still have my Nan, who at 81 enjoyed a day of going to see "A Christmas Carol" on 3-D iMax, followed up by a drink at a bar while we watched the end of the Steeler game, and finished off with a yummy dinner at Olive Garden.  I hope I'm still going like she is at 81.

I felt guilty, because while I know The Man enjoyed the day, there had to be an undertone or twinge of sadness.

Today, while on the way to the funeral home for the first of 2 viewings for The Man's Grandma, I called my Nan to wish her a Happy Birthday (today's the actual day).

Yesterday, while driving home, The Man, my Mom, and I were talking about how drastically movies have changed in my Nan's life.  From 'talkies' of the late 20's/early 30's to 3-D iMax films of today.  Wow, what this woman has seen.

Today, while watching my mother-in-law tear up at the loss of her mother (who she's cared for over the last 2 years), I couldn't help but hear the children running and playing in the back of the room.

Proof, that in fact, life does go on.

Proof, that the contrasts in our lives are blessings.

12 comments:

  1. This was really nice... I don't have any grandparents left...mine have all been gone for close to 20 years now. You are so blessed indeed to have your Nan. Give The Man a hug from me (which might be slightly wierd because he doesn't know me...) and tell him I'm sorry.

    But like you said so nicely at the end...life keeps going...whether we want it to or not, it just keeps right on moving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for his loss. I lost my grandmother around this time last year. My other grandmother is still alive and kicking, and quite feisty, even after having surgery on her heart last week.

    So yes, life does go on, and I am grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww rebecca what a beautiful post it brought tears to my eyes...
    I am so sorry for your hubbys loss...
    I have know one grandma in my life and feel so blessed to still have her

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughtful and beautiful post! I will pray for your family and the soul of your husband's grandma.

    I think those contrasts can be really comforting in life. Like for example, when you heard the children playing, when earlier, someone had died.

    And thank you for the very kind comment that you left on my site. :) I think God did bring use together (at least in the blog-o-sphere) too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rebecca! Just popping in to say hi. Out parousing the SSS list and loved your post. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was lovely. I'm sorry for your loss and glad you are enoying beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've reached a point in our lives where neither my husband nor I have moms or grandmoms left in our immediate family. I always feel a bit sad on Mothers Day. Enjoy your time with your grandmother. They're a very special breed of people!

    My condolences to your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Condolences to your husband. I remember when we lost my Grandfather suddenly almost 2 years ago. We never got a chance to really say good bye, although I was happy I'd made it out to see him about 6 weeks before he died (lived in VA....I"m in the midwest).

    I know the day will soon come when I will lose my Nana. I'll be so sad. But I enjoy her now, in her life. YOu are so blessed to have a good relationship with your grandmother.

    I, too, enjoy looking at the contrasts that happen in life, all too often.

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for your husband and your loss. Sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank-you for the prayers and love, I know we both felt them this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you have your grandma and that you show her how much you love her. There are contrasts- in some ways, I'm glad my mom has passed on because she was in so much pain and it took so long but in other ways, I feel guilty to feel that way. I think it will be a long time before I can enjoy the freedom I longed for- because I miss my mom and think I should buy her the butterscotch pudding I see on the shelf whenI wander through the store and don't have to be home at any particular time. Life does go on and I'm thankful that I can put my attention on the children who play. They make life worthwhile. Show your moms that you love them too. We all need the hugs and kisses.
    Love you, Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.