10.02.2009

Friday Fragments


For more quick takes, visit Jen at Conversion Diary.

  1. It wasn't pretty (again), but the Mountaineers pulled off a victory last night, defeating Colorado 35 - 24.  The score is closer than it was (and much closer than it needed to be), but a win is a win.  Now, if we could just hold onto the ball instead of turning it over to the other team I (and a whole lotta other people too) would feel a whole lot better!  I know it's nice to share, but that's not quite the goal of a football game, and certainly not 4 times.  In the first half!  We did bounce back nicely and keep the ball all to ourselves in the second half!
  2. I know it's quite obvious that I love football for all that is football.  The game.  The team.  The people.  The tailgating.  The atmosphere.  All. of. it.  But this week, it provided another reason to love it.  For 3 hours, I focused on something completely outside of me.  Sure, my emotions were all over the place, but it had nothing to do with me.  I've been known to say (frequently in the last couple of years) that if the season keeps going the way it is, it's going to kill me.  The man usually just humors me while I'm sure he wants to roll his eyes and tell me I'm being a bit dramatic (me, dramatic?  NEVER!), but he doesn't - he just nods and smiles.  But I have to say, that even though there was some serious football-related stress last night, it was somewhat of a release.  A welcome release.
  3. Last night after the game, I volunteered to take my brother to the airport this morning for his flight back to Dallas.  It was 1:00 AM when I made this grand gesture.  We had to leave by 6:30 AM.  I surely thought my mom would say, oh, no thanks, you don't need to.  She didn't.  (I need to add here, that I wouldn't have offered if I didn't mean it, I just didn't really expect a yes.  And mom, if you're reading this, I was happy to do it.  Really.)  
  4. So we headed up the road towards Pittsburgh International Airport, and just about the time we stopped for Starbucks (thanks Mike!), we heard there was an accident and that traffic to the airport was slow.  Ha - I've seen turtles move faster!  It took us 45 minutes to drive, are you ready, 2, t-w-o, two miles!  There was so much traffic that at the 30 minute mark, Mike called Southwest Airlines to inquire about what happens if he misses his flight.  Just about the time he was off of hold and speaking to an agent, the traffic cleared.  He made it to the gate (thank God for no luggage to check) just as they started boarding.  Not the way I like to start my mornings after less than 5 hours of sleep.
  5. Upon my return from the airport I realized I needed to go to the DMV.  The registration on my car expired yesterday.  Because I'm organized like that.  And I had to go to the cell phone store to make my payment because mailing it would make it late.  Again, because I'm so organized.  Both of these stops have potential to be quick 5 minute stops or 45 minute stops.  I was prepared for the 45 minute variety, especially because I was looking so lovely for my errands - no contacts in (glasses on, don't worry), hair in a ponytail, and a pathetic attempt at makeup (chapstick) but I was pleasantly surprised.  I was home in less than an hour - and that included a stop for sweet tea!
  6. This week, on Tuesday morning, I had tea with my friend Sara and her son, Porkchop (I'd like to leave this without saying, but just in case, Porkchop is his nickname, not his real name ;)).  I've mentioned her here and here before - and you can visit her blog here.  We were pretty much inseperable in high school.  We started college together.  And then we went our separate ways.  Last fall, almost 7 years later we reconnected on Facebook.  We try to have lunch a couple of times a month, but life has been busy and we just haven't in the last few weeks - it was great to catch up and relax for a few hours.
  7. Just as I was leaving, Sara pointed to a gift bag on her table and said that it was for me.  What was inside?  A journal.  And - Fearless, by Max Lucado.  Remember?  Thank-you seems so inadequate.  She didn't ask what has me in such a funk (she knows me well enough to know that I'll share it with her when I'm ready).  She didn't pretend that she didn't know.  I am grateful.  More than words can say.  Thank. You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.