6.20.2009

Can of Worms

When I started blogging, I thought it would mostly be a journal of the happenings in our oh-so-exciting daily lives. I thought it would be a way for me to finally start and keep a journal (albeit a very public one). As I've surfed the blogosphere and made new bloggy-friends, I've found I enjoy lots of different kinds of posts. I like Wordless Wednesdays, I like the 100-things memes for the 100th post, I like the funny tales of children and pets, and I like the glimpses into the lives of others and seeing that we are all so much more alike than we are different. I am also drawn to the amazing stories of strength and enduring faith in the face of struggle. I am drawn to the amazing community of support that exists.

In addition, I also enjoy the 'controversial' topics: religion and politics seem to summarize them well. I have often sat down to write a post on Faith; on Gay Marriage; on Politics; on the Environment; on Gas Prices, etc., etc., etc. I've never finished one of these posts because of a few fears of mine. Fear of: negativity in comments; not being accepted by those who visit my blog (my desire for approval is a whole month of blog posts, so we'll just leave it at that for now); others thinking I'm trying to change their minds or do anything more than just sharing my opinion.

I mostly feel like by posting on these topics, I'd be opening a huge 'can of worms'. Do I want to do this? Or do I want to keep things light and airy 'round here? Well, I think I'm gonna try it out. If I were writing in a journal that no one else saw, my thoughts on these topics would be included, so why not include them here. The conversations The Man and I have on these topics would be included, so why not include them here.

So that said, I'm working on a first post in a 'Can of Worms' series. This series probably won't have any scheduled rhyme or reason to it because it's hard to schedule when something will strike a chord that will need to be filed as such. What strikes a chord with you? What would you want to express your opinions on? What are you passionate about?

I love love love love reading comments (come on, admit it, you do to :)!), but I would like to respectfully ask you to play nice. Feel free to disagree, in fact please do, but do it RESPECTFULLY. My posts are my opinions and your comments are yours. Consider first how you would want to be responded to... Anonymous comments are ok, so long as you 'play nice.' I do reserve the right to delete unnecessarily nasty comments.

Stay tuned...

8 comments:

  1. Interesting idea! I wrote some posts on vaccinations awhile back, but deleted them after I posted simply b/c I didn't feel like I had expressed my thoughts clearly enough. But I say to you, GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOhh...this is going to be good. I've stayed away from all that controversial stuff to this point too. For some of the same reasons, and for some others, but I do comment on others blogs. Mainly when I agree, because I'm a CHICKEN!!! Anyway, good for you. Can't wait to read the first in the series.

    Oh, and now that school is out, I'm going to really try to buckle down on the book. Maybe I should publicize my goal so that I am forced to get it done! I think I finally have my "starting point." Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IMO there isnt much point in blogging if you don't open a can of worms every now and then .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I have often thought some of these very same thoughts--even considered starting a second blog that not very many people know about so that I could write without feeling like I might offend. :) I'm so interested in what you'll have to say.

    And yes, politics is big in our home (my hubby works in politics). As is faith. So many cans of worms to open. Good luck! I'm cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I have often thought some of these very same thoughts--even considered starting a second blog that not very many people know about so that I could write without feeling like I might offend. :) I'm so interested in what you'll have to say.

    And yes, politics is big in our home (my hubby works in politics). As is faith. So many cans of worms to open. Good luck! I'm cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sturgmom - that's one more of my concerns with doing this, I'm concerned I won't be clear on what I'm trying to say - I see a lot of clarifying in the comments.

    Kristen - Feel free to disagree here, I'll still come visit you :). And good luck on the book - I guess this means I gotta get going on my part, huh? Happily!

    Underthepaw - Let's just hope I have readers left....

    Angie - I thought the same thing, doing a separate blog for this kind of stuff, but I know I wouldn't do a good job at upkeep on 2 ;). Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beck- I agree with underthepaw.

    YOUR blog is YOUR thoughts, opinions, etc. Know that your true friends respect your opinion as you do theirs!

    I, on the other hand, would probably come across as the bitchy elitist that I am, haha.

    I say go for it, if you ever want point - counter-point, I'm game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh! Exciting! You're onto a great idea here! I love blogs that get people talking!

    Good luck! As far as I know of you from the comments you've left me, you seem tactful and articulate enough to make things worth reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.