3.29.2009

Water


Water: (n) a transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid, a compound of hydrogen and oxygen, H2O, freezing at 32°F or 0°C and boiling at 212°F or 100°C, that in a more or less impure state constitutes rain, oceans, lakes, rivers, etc.: it contains 11.188 percent hydrogen and 88.812 percent oxygen, by weight

Water: Essential for life. Cleansing. Creates new life in baptism. Covers 71% of Earth. Exists as a solid (ice), liquid (water), gas (water vapor).

Water: Where I spend 30 minutes of my day; 5 days per week.

A few weeks ago, I started a new exercise routine. I decided to pass on the machines, pass on the weights, pass on the eliptical, and pass on the treadmill. I decided to swim. Every day.

I quickly discovered just how out of shape I was as that calm, serene pool of water kicked my butt. I. Y. it.

Now, I find myself looking forward to my time in the water more than I ever remember looking forward to exercise. I make my appointment and I keep it. I schedule other things - work things, fun things, anythings - around my time in the water.

Sure, the water is a bit cold when I first get in, but within 2 lengths of the pool, instead of feeling the cold, all I feel is the water moving around me.

My time in the water is more than exercise for my body (don't get me wrong, I sure am enjoying the extra room that has already appeared in my jeans); it's a break for my mind. It's time to think through things. To process. Without being able to act immediately. It's time to pray and listen to what He might be telling me. It's invigorating and relaxing all at the same time. It's time to reflect on my days. It's time to prepare myself for what lies ahead. Good. And Bad.

My time in the water reminds me just how important it is to my existence. And also, how it must be respected. For that water, that is necessary, can just as easily take away. Twice, as I've lifted my head to breathe, I've not gotten my mouth completely out of the water and inhaled water with air. Twice, I've been just fine (except for that little bit of my pride that had to tell the physical therapist on duty that I was just fine...). Twice, I've been reminded to respect this water.

For now, I look forward to my time in the water. Daily. I am grateful for the ache in my legs and arms. I am grateful for the extra room in my pants. I am grateful for the break for my mind. I am grateful for water.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh... I love swimming for the same reason. Sadly, I don't get much of a chance for laps these days. Enjoy a few for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are enjoying your ime in the pool! Stopped by from SITS to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love swimming. It's been such a long time since I've been swimming for exercise. I'll bet it's been 20 years. Sheesh. I shouldn't admit that...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on so you may not see your comment show up right away.